cutting a tenon for a sierra?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

can someone gimme some tips on cutting the tenon for a classic fountain pen? is it difficult? sorry i didn't mean a sierra
was thinking about buying the gear to make these but was wondering if i'm just gonna end up destroying all the blanks with this tenon deal
so far ive only done slimlines, cigars, and rifle shell kits.
wanted to start on fountains, sierras, and polaris pens

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

Zander, I think you're thinking of some other kit besides the Sierra. It doesn't require a tenon. Could you possibly be referring to a Euro Designer or one of the Flat Top styles?

nava1uni

To cut a tenon:
-know measurement of tenon size-circumference and length
-mark length on blank with a light pencil mark
-take light cuts with a parting tool, ride the bevel and check frequently with calipers
-when you are close, take real light cuts until your calipers just gently slide over the blank at the tenon site
-sand lightly and you are done.
Don't get nervous about it.
Practice on a piece of wood that you aren't making into a pen.
Once you know how to cut a tenon you will use this skill a lot on pens, bowls, etc.

ldb2000

Cutting the tenon for those pens that require it is not that hard .
First bring the barrel down to the finished size of the pen then use your skew as a scraper to remove a little wood from the tenon at a time , check size and repeat until you get the to CB fit tightly , best bet is to sand the last little bit to make the CB fit .
If you are going to make a barrel that has a shape (bulge , curve , pregnant) remember that the NEW end of the barrel (where the tenon starts) has to be reduced in size to that of the centerband (a caliper is really handy for this) .
Some pens don't really use a tenon , they just part the blank down to the brass tube and the CB just slides on the brass tube .
Use epoxy to lock the CB on with , CA could do damage to the plating on the CB .

ldb2000

Those are very easy . Measure the length of the CB and mark it then use your parting tool to remove all the wood from the tube .
Again DON'T use CA to lock the CB on , use epoxy instead . The CA outgasses for quite awhile and can turn the plating on the CB white and could actually eat the plating off completely .

jleiwig

Never has a blowout yet. (which I'm sure to have now that I said that).

Yup..that's the way it worked for me. Mine was due to glue failure on an acrylic blank though. I had to change my shorts after it smacked me on the face sheild though!

I've used a parting tool and a 1/2" skew to make tennons though.

Top Bottom