Cutting Spare Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I use a pipe cutter I purchased at Lowe's a few years back when I did some plumbing repair work. It was $5-6 and cuts quick, clean with no crushing of the tube.

Gregory Huey

Patrick
I'm not sure what you mean by trim the tubing. If you mean cut it to lengths. I bore a 10mm hole in a 3/4 by 3/4 by X length in a scrap piece of wood. Slide my brass in and cut to the length I need.

Gregory Huey

Yep per - I run the little buggers thru my band saw. Brass is very soft but I really can't say if I am dulling my blade quicker. probably am but not enough for me to notice. My saw is set up very square so I cut mine to lenght. I guess you could cut them a little long and square them on your sander.
Every one is cut from the same mold, just some of us are moldier than others!

Fred in NC

I use a razor saw too. I made a 'gizmo' to hold the tube so it does not rotate. It looks like a regular blank, made from pine. I just cut a slit thengthwise on one side with a hand saw. This way when I put it in a vise, it keeps the tube from rotating.

Sometimes I cut the tube a bit oversized, and glue it in, then trim both ends in the bandsaw. Brass is soft, it does not damage the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom