Cutting Pickguard Material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

leevis

Hello all! I've been reading the forums for a little while now, but this is my first post. Started pen turning about 6 months ago and am now completely hooked [8D]. I've learned so much just from reading here. It's an invaluable resource. Anyway, here's my question.

I picked up a few bulk sheets of pickguard material from a guitar supply store to use as accent inserts. What is the best method to cut this material? Any "gotchas" that I need to look out for when working with it? Thanks in advance.

Lee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Hi,Lee;Welcome to the group!
Bandsaw or scrollsaw works well,
I have cut it on a mitre saw,but it blew up,
so I sandwiched it between 2 scrap wood pieces
and worked ok.Just scuff both sides before gluing,
and you're set.
Remember,we love pictures!![:D]

alamocdc

Welcome, Lee. I just use my band saw. I don't put it between two pieces of wood, or even back it up with one. I jsut cut it like it is and have not had a problem.

broitblat

Lee,

Pickguard seems to have a fairly low melting temperature, so be especially careful when cutting or sanding. Also, as you've probably noticed, the bulk material has a thin film of plastic protecting the surface that you'll want to peel away (I missed this, once, and had a laminate that snapped apart pretty easily)

DWK5150

I use my bandsaw to cut all my pickguards and never and problems. Then go to my bench sander and smooth everything up and usually good to go unless I want to bevel it then to the router table.

byounghusband

Add me to the "use the bandsaw to cut pickguard" club... Quick and relatively safe [B)]... Drills nicely too. You might consider sandwiching it between pen blank scraps with the same hole size already in them to keep it held better in your vice. I made a jig to hold the picguard at an angle on the Pith pen I did for Epson. Worked like a charm!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom