Cutting opinions please. Birdseye maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

Look what I found laying aroung the house:D. Actually I did. I purchased this two years ago before becoming a turner and forgotten about it because the project it was intended for never materialized. I was looking under my bed for something else when I ran into it. It says....MAKE ME INTO PENS!

It is about 4"X16"X7/8"
What would be the best way to cut this thing? Do I need to stabilize birdseye maple?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dougle40

That doesn't look like any Birdseye Maple that I've ever seen , it's too dark . Birdseye Maple shouldn't need any stabilizing at all , it's a great wood to work with .

bajacrazy

Originally posted by woodpens
<br />I'm not sure what you guys are looking at, but there is no pic now. Did someone remove it? Maybe I've gone blind. Oh no! [;)]

I thought the same thing, then I looked at Woodscaenger's my photo's.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
That is not like any BEB that I have ever seen.. but it looks just like some nice big leaf maple burl that I have that made some gorgeous pens.... a definate winner for pen material... don't forget to cut some to 3" lengths for Atlas pens..
BTW... that stuff takes stain real well also...see the set below
2005124122544_RedHat.jpg

woodscavenger

BEB...BEM...blah blah blah....it sounds like the teacher from peanuts talking. Do you soak the pen blank in dye beforehand or do you aply it after finishing the pen?

As an opinion I am not sure about the atlas kits yet. I have never used one but the style just doesn't work for me. Sorry. But I can see it in a Baron or Jr. Gent.

opus

It looks alot like Amboyna burl to me, very nice piece though.
If you want you can send it to me and I will send you back a piece of Birdseye Maple !![:D][:p]

wayneis

That could be walnut burl or about a dozen or so other burls but no way is it Birds eye maple, I live in the heart of maple country and have used a bunch of all kinds of maple. Birds eye, unless stained is very creamy white or a light tan can run through it but it does not get dark brown like you are showing.

BUT I do agree that what ever it is it will make a really nice pen. If it's solid and not crumblie you can just cut so that you get the most blanks out of it and if dry then turn it. When you do get it done I would really like to see some photo's of whatever you turn it into.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom