Cutting Circuitboard Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tommy Lee

I purchased a real circuit board blank. I find that it already has the tube inserted and I have to cut it to fit my pen. Has anyone had experience in cutting one of these? I suspect the tool of choice is a band saw or scroll saw, but that type of blade? I don't want to ruin a blade or at the blank cutting through the metal tube.

jttheclockman

Any metal cutting blade with fine teeth. You could even do it with a hacksaw and a 32 teeth blade. Just take nice even long strokes and support the blank well. Then clean it up with whatever method you choose. I prefer sanding on the lathe. But a nice sharp carbide barrel trimmer has worked well for me also. Maybe cut the blank a tad longer and then trim down gradually using your method. Good luck. Remember some kits are more forgiving with the lengths too.

Quality Pen

I purchased a real circuit board blank. I find that it already has the tube inserted and I have to cut it to fit my pen. Has anyone had experience in cutting one of these? I suspect the tool of choice is a band saw or scroll saw, but that type of blade? I don't want to ruin a blade or at the blank cutting through the metal tube.
For what it's worth, brass is a very soft metal. I doubt you would do any harm to a blade unless it was super delicate.

Besides, part of the thrill of pen turning is doing things you have no idea how to do and seeing if it turns out alright. lol :biggrin:

Top Bottom