cutting a carbon fiber blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WHartman

Anyone ever cut a carbon fiber blank down? I recently order a CF blank from exotics for a sierra click pen, thinking it would fit a EB sierra click pen... this is not the case:mad-tongue:

So.. now I am thinking of cutting it down to fit, any ideas... will it work, will it cause a problem?

Thanks all.

Wade

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I recently cut one down. I cut it a little long on the bandsaw and took it the rest of the way on the disc sander. Everything worked out great. I imagine a pen mill could substitute for the sander if necessary.

JasonJ

I cut one down on the bandsaw and didn't do any further trimming. There was a little fiber separation at the cut, but that would be removed if you cut a little long and used the sander to finish it off. Good luck.

76winger

Is there a problem with these blanks using a standard barrel trimmer?
I haven't tried one yet, but have considered it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Is there a problem with these blanks using a standard barrel trimmer?
I haven't tried one yet, but have considered it.

Dave, the big problem with barrel trimmers is keeping them sharp. Because they are powered by a drill, they "work" even when dull---but they don't work WELL. So, blanks are ruined.

Sandpaper is consistent.

CaptG

Yes, you can cut a carbon fiber blank. The band saw is great as stated above, cut a bit long and sand or use a pen mill to square up the cut and bring to length. As Ed said, the pen mill has to be sharp, and carbon fiber dulls them fast. I use a carbide pen mill and it goes a lot longer between sharpening. I do have a couple steel pen mills that I also use, but I also have the equipment to sharpen them every 20 or so carbon fiber blanks.

WHartman

I ended up cutting the blank this afternoon and it went fine, no problems with the cutting. Turned very easy with a nice new sharp bit in the woodchuck.

Thanks for the responses guys! I appreciate it.

Wade

Top Bottom