cutting brass tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

How do you cut your brass tubes? My bandsaw is set up with a wood cutting blade and the teeth are too far apart to cut the small tubes easily and I worry it will dull the blade. A hacksaw is a pain in the rear. I have a dremel with some diamond disks, for the small diameter stuff, and I though of a regular tubing cutter.

Sharon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Brass cuts easily, but needs a fine tooth blade to avoid significant damage

I have some maple blocks with snug holes drilled in it to hold the brass tubing. I cut with a fine blade scroll saw (fret saw) -- A hack saw is way too coarse for most blades. Look for 40+ tooth per inch. Takes just a few seconds with a sharp blade. Cut a bit long, deburr and plan to trim for final length.

snyiper

I just recieved the harbor freight chop saw not the mini orange one the next one up. I will tell you that thing is nice with the abrasive wheel!! Have to be careful 9K rpm!! If you are only doing a few I would use a plumbing mini cutter, Get a Ridgid the others will look the same but they are not. This will be evident when the blade starts walking up the tube. Ridgid also has a bit larger knob to turn as well.

Jgrden

Bob in Ohio, that was very useful information. I have been using my band saw. I am going to try your way.

rsulli16

second the HF chop saw

:)

I use it too, but yes you do have to run a reamer around it when done, i also use a countersink in a handheld screwdriver type of handle,also HF. mine is screwed to my workbench opposite the lathe. works great
Sulli

Top Bottom