Cutting blanks from stock.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Is there an art to cutting blanks from stock/blocks or is it more of a wing it and see what you get kind of deal?

I have a local sawmill who also handles a few exotics and I can get turning blocks for a really good price from which I can cut blanks.

With the grain, x-cut, other cuts? Again, any one better than the other or is it just a matter of personal preferrence of appearance?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Greg, with me, it's a matter of trial and error and personal preference. Some woods are rather unspectacular unless you bias or cross cut them. Others need only to be cut into blanks.

53Jim

During the summer my wife and I went to Ohio, where I bought a 1 X 4 X 4 board of Black Palm. I cut it up right away. Most of it I cut with the grain, I also cut about 5 blanks across the grain, and about 4 blanks at a 45 degree angle.

After all the cutting was done, I wished I had cut the whole thing at 45 degrees. (Just my personal preference, as Billy mentioned)

Good luck, and have fun.

cozee

Thanks everyone! I can also get short pieces (cut offs) of board (3"-7"x 24"- 36" @ 13/16"- 1" thick). I guess I will just fill my trunkand just cut up a storm!!! I haven't personally seen a 45 degree cut blank but would think they would be awesome with the right wood(s). Would any cut other than inline with the grain need to be stabilized even with a hardwood?

alamocdc

Greg, usually the only woods that need stabilization are soft, punky or some splated woods. The cut angle has nothing to do with it. In fact, many (most in my experience) are harder (and harder to turn) when bias or cross cut.

alamocdc

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Greg, usually the only woods that need stabilization are soft, punky or some splated woods. The cut angle has nothing to do with it. In fact, many (most, in my experience) are harder (and harder to turn) when bias or cross cut.

cozee

Greg, usually the only woods that need stabilization are soft, punky or some splated woods. The cut angle has nothing to do with it. In fact, many (most in my experience) are harder (and harder to turn) when bias or cross cut.

Oh Joy!!!! Less work!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom