Cutting blanks, need an itty bitty saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

Howdy all,

I will be moving soon and leaving my job as a cabinet maker (to my disappointment) but may be getting a similar job when the move is done. Going to Wake Forest NC to go to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Anyhow, if I wind up working in a church right off the bat rather than in a shop, I'll have no way of cutting blanks from board stock. I'll also be living in an apartment and doing my penturning there. I'll need a small benchtop bandsaw. What's good out there for the price? What used ones should I consider or avoid? I've seen a black and decker for sale but being an industrial carpenter I refuse to buy anything black and decker.

What other options are there out there?

Thanks,

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

I have a 9" Delta that you can get at HD or Lowes, and I'm pleased with it. You can find them for about $100, and if you add a Timberwolf, you'll be cuttin' without a problem.

terrymiller

Matt you may want to check out the Craftsmen 9" from what I remember when I was looking at the bigger saws the small one had all of the same features as the big ones. I would stay away from the really cheap ones I had the Ryobi 9" and it really was not worth the money.

thetalbott4

You might want to check out the Delta BS150LS 10". This is a 10" that can cut material up 7" thick. It's heavier and sturdier than most of the 9 and 10" models. I got mine from Amazon.com. The blade it comes with is garbage. I use 1/2" wide timberwolf and it cuts through 6" thick Aussie burls. You must set the saw up right, use a high quality blade and dont force stuff through it and it will work great. For your purposes, it would be ideal.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have the 9 inch Delta (in the States) and it is not worth buying in my opinion. The 10 inch might be better. I have a Sears 12 inch here in Japan, so I have something to compare the 9 inch to. Timberwolf blades did not come in the 9 inch size, or I would have bought some. I do think that you can have them custom made but that might be too expensive.

From what I have read on a woodworking forum that I am a member, Rikon makes a good 10 inch bandsaw, and Sears sells a re-branded model of the same (under Sears name). I found out about 3 weeks after I purchased my Delta.
http://www.rikontools.com/Products/Bandsaws/Bandsaws.html

Look the Rikon up and then look for the same model under the Sears brand.

Randy_

Rikon is supposed to have a pretty good benchtop bandsaw.

Timberwolf is a brand of blade that comes from Sweeden. An excellent blade.....improves the performance greatly. You can find them at www.suffolkmachinery.com .

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by redfishsc
<br />Sorry for the naivete but what is a "timberwolf"?

Timberwolf is a brand of bandsaw blades that is considered by many to be the best on the market. You can order from Suffolk Machinery
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/
where you get, not only expert friendly service, but the best prices.

redfishsc

Thanks guys. That sounds about like what I need. I'll check the Rikon/Sears thing out (I'll likely get the Rikon even if it's a buck more b/c of the reputation of Crapsman woodworking tools)

Daniel

I had a craftsman 14" tilting head bandsaw before I got my grizzly. it was a total dud, and was not a cheap saw at all. I highly recomend you keep a wide paht between yourself and sears.
If you do decide to get a craftsman saw, go through every nut bolt and set screw before you use it. and remember they change the models of there saws frequently and do not stock parts for the older less expensive ones for long. even a few years can leave you with a saw that has to be replaced rather than repaired.

Scottydont

I had to downsize my shop and sold my Jet 14". I looked at he 10" Rikon and Craftsman (Same saw, the only real difference was the table. Rikon=Cast aluminum Craftsman=Cast iron.) I am not a Crapsman fan either but comparing the two it was a no brainer. I bought the Craftsman, outfitted it with a Timberwolf and it works great! I have even done some resawing with it.

challagan

The Sears and Rikon are two different saws. The Rikon has an aluminum table and the Sears has a cast iron I belive. Very similar designs. The company that makes the Sears is Yukon I think.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000ANENV/qid=1151177035/sr=1-220/ref=sr_1_220/103-5421146-8429406?%5Fencoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Corey

Firefyter-emt

I have the 10" sears saw and it is a very nice saw. It will also take a 1/2" blade. I just looked at those 2 saws and except for the cast iron table, it is a dead ringer for the Rikon. The Yukon has all diffrent knobs, a diffrent blade tension set up, ect. Unless there is more proof that the Sears is not bade my Rikon, I have to stay with that opinion.

The Yukon's frame build is entirely diffrent, where the Rikon's frame is pretty much a match.

Either way, I have the 10" Sears one and it is pretty impressive for the cost. Full ball bearing guides, blade wipes, a cast iron table and a fairly good fence. Combine that with the fact that it will take a 1/2" wide blade and all the parts including the doors are metal I think it's a good choice.

Here is the Sears one

Here is the Rikon
Zoom10bs.jpg

And here is the Yukon... You tell me which one looks to be made by who.

B0000ANENV.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Randy_

It wouldn't surprise me if all three of the pictured saws started out in a Rikon factory although our Asian friends have well-known ability to "borrow" designs, so it is difficult to know for sure!!

JimQ

The Craftsman is imported by Orion International, a Division of Steel City Tool Works. I don't know, they may come out of the same Asian plant, but the specs are different. The Sears and the Rikon both have an adjuster knob on the top, the Yukon doesn't, but all 3 have the same labels on the doors. BTW, Rikon is an importer, not a manufacturer. Yukon probably is too.

I have the latest Craftsman 15" floor mount DP (imported by Orion), and have been very impressed with it. 4" stroke makes pen drilling easy.

JimQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom