Cutting Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

heineda

Hello,

I've bneen using a table saw to cut my blanks with, and I have realized recently that it does not do a good job of making accurate, square cuts(cheapo Sears crap). I'm thinking about a chop saw, but wanted to see what you use to cut your blanks.

Thanks for your help, and great input.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Some swear by the tablesaw for blank cutting with proper sleds. I think using a 'chop' (think about that word for a moment) saw for blanks is asking to lose some fingers. I use a bandsaw. Fast, efficient and as safe a tool as there is.

Wolfdancer

Banned
I agree with Frank I use a bandsaw and make cuts down to 1/16" with accuracy. And also with 49 years of working with wood have never lost a finger to a bandsaw yet.:D Knock on wood:D

I personally use a 'Chop saw' but really you should use a bandsaw, far safer as has been said, I don't like the speed of the chop saw either but just so used to it(old habits die hard):D

terrymiller

I use a table saw to cut the wood to strips about 1 inch then cut to length with the chop or miter saw. I assume you are talking about cutting to length and not the whole process.

fernhills

Hi, i use bandsaw for one reason and that is i never get it with a nice straight edge,its usually a little warped or cupped. Thats where a bandsaw is a lot safer. TS wants flat straight stuff. Carl

leehljp

Member Liaison

OKLAHOMAN

Table saw with a sled,fingers a least 6inches from blade.Also table saw with an other sled for shapeing PR blanks...

1080Wayne

Daniel I believe your ultimate objective is a pen that is perfectly round , not a blank that is perfectly square . Perfectly square is only an issue if you insist on drilling the mathematical dead center of the blank , and chances are that location won`t give you the best looking pen . Wood that is cupped or twisted reflects stresses that the tree grew up with , and as a general rule , the greater the stress the more character the wood and the pen made from it will have . A band saw is definitely the safest tool cutting irregular stock . Wayne

stevebuk

if your budget allows you to buy a bandsaw, then i recommend it highly, i love using mine and i never fear it, it is relatively quite and straight forward cutting, totally unlike my chop saw.

randyrls

Originally posted by Buzz

Bandsaw - with a sled.

To join the thread; I agree if I am cutting logs or rough cut lumber down for pens blanks I would use a bandsaw. There is a reason why saw mills use a *rather* large band saw.
1. Use a sled.
2. Look for a clamping jig/sled. Something like is used for sawmills, but smaller.

JohnU

I also have all three and have tried cutting blanks on all of them. The chop saw with throw blanks once in a while. Not a good choice if you want your fingers. The table saw is ok, but like the chop saw, you lose a lot of wood to the blade kerf. The bandsaw is nice because you get more blanks for your time (less waste), and safer and easier as long as you are set up properly. Since your turning them, as others have said, your edges dont have to be perfectly straight because you will cut them away anyhow. The big thing is what works for you!

rjwolfe3

I use a compound miter saw with a homemade zero clearance board attached. I use it for blanks and for segmenting. As long as I use scrap wood to hold the board, my fingers are not even close to the blade. I also make to turn the blade off before lifting it back up to avoid little pieces flying across the shop. I've gotten as thin as a 1/16" safely.:D
On the other hand, the reason I do this is because I don't have a bandsaw. I wish I did but at the current time my funds are very limited. I've been watching Craig's List hoping to score one cheaply. Once I get a band saw I will probably use that instead.
As for a table saw, I'm scared to death of it.[B)] Even though I've used it quite a bit with all the safety gear, I've seen it make wood disappear at subsonic speeds.[:0]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by 1080Wayne

Daniel I believe your ultimate objective is a pen that is perfectly round , not a blank that is perfectly square . Perfectly square is only an issue if you insist on drilling the mathematical dead center of the blank , and chances are that location won`t give you the best looking pen. . . Wayne

Wayne,

Unless the pen is perfectly square in starting (with a few exceptions), you won't get a good segmented pen. Segmented pens that are a smidgen off center show the mistakes quickly.

As to the second part of the second sentence, it is "chancy" any which way you drill it. Centering a natural blank does not decrease the chances any more that not centering it.

A few segments that started as fairly perfect squares:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31073

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=31469

But probably not all segmented ones started that way, just most.

thetalbott4

I agree for cutting stock from large or irregular pieces, the bandsaw is smart. For segmented work where square and smooth is needed, I then go to the table saw with a homemade sled that allows me to shave the sides and get perfectly square (within .002 anyway). I use the miter saw for cutting to length. The trick with the miter saw is NEVER lift the blade until it stops spinning, otherwise it will throw the piece. If you dont lift while spinning, it will never give you a problem.

Dan_F

I got one of these recently, which allows me to feel much more comfortable when ripping blanks on the table saw, though with a smooth surfaced blank, I have have taken to applying a small piece of double stick tape to the upper surface of the blank, as small slick pieces can still get away without it under the right circumstances. It does effectively keep you fingers away from the blade.

http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=10477

I also use a band saw for cutting up burls and such, as it wastes less wood, and is generally safer, but when I want a really smooth cut, I'll use the table saw with a zero clearance insert. I use the table saw with a dead nuts accurate miter gage for trimming ends, then true to the hole with pen mill or sander. One must always be fully present when working with a table saw.

Dan

Rmartin

You can cut your finger off with a bandsaw quite easily. I saw it happen way back in high school.

I use a compound miter saw with a zero fence. I have several for the different angles and bevels.

Top Bottom