Cutting Billiard balls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I did not wat to hijack Workinginwood's post about cutting bowling balls so I started this one. Has anyone ever cut a billard ball and made pens out of it??? If so how did that go and if you could post a few photos would be great. Also what kind of jig did you use or build. I am having a hard time figuring that part out. Also what kind of blade did you use??? I bought a metal cutting blade and was going to try that. Thanks in advance for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bruce119

That is on my list to do. I too have thought about that but never got any balls to try. I keep an eye open for them in the thrift store but haven't come across any yet. I too would like to hear if any one has chopped one up and what they are made of. And we don't want to hear about the 50 year old ivory that if you could find you mite pick it up for about 200 bucks.

andyk

I would think due to the size you would only get one usable blank from a billiard ball, and that would be right down the center.

bruce119

I would think due to the size you would only get one usable blank from a billiard ball, and that would be right down the center.

You need to open your mind widen your view. There could be a lot of possibilities. Such as inlays different balls different colors glue them together. Getting a picture they said the same thing about bowling balls. It's too thin only a 1/2" or less you can't use it. I found a use for it. I don't know what they are made of or even if they are same same material all the way through if the colored ones are the same color all the way through. It is on my long list of things to do but just not enough time.

Does anyone know what they are made out of. I guess I will have to try and find one to cut apart.

Gagler

Bruce, you made me think of some possibilities with the inlay comment: grab one of the numbers, etc. as an inlay say as an 8 ball pen or with a big enough pen put all of the numbers on it. A lot of work, sure, but it would be unique and I'm sure a pool enthusiast would love it.

My Dad has cut up an 8 ball and stuck it on the gear shift of his truck once - don't ask me why, it looked like ^&%$, and he is currently using an old cue ball as a knob for a cabinet out in the shop - I will ask him what the inside is like.

workinforwood

I would get a piece of wood nice and thick, like a scrap of 2x4. Drill a hole the size of the ball with a forestner bit about 1" deep. Set ball in hole, fire up the chop saw and let her rip! Don't cut all the way through the 2x4, so you can re-use it for the next ball. I do not know what's in it. Might be good to put a masonary blade in the chop saw like Bruce was saying earlier. The sound like ceramic when they hit the floor. If it isn't solid, I can't imagine it being good for much, even being cast in tiny pieces. Mostly I say this because hacking up a ball that small isn't worth the safety risk in my opinion...especially for that kind of yield.
Does sound by reading that wiki file that they would be solid and the same as a bowling ball material.
Steal my thread..naw, if it's relatable, and informative, it's all good to me.

Last edited:

GoodTurns

I just ordered a bunch. says they're made of poly resin...sounds like turning material to me. I'll shoot a pic when I chop one!

the_benz

Don't cut centered

Be careful on cutting down the middle. A billiard ball is just over 2 inches. Most pen tubes, if you are going that route will be at that or over. I would think you need to cut 1/4 to 3/8 on each side of center keeping the largest diameter in tack.
Gregg

arioux

Hi,

Broke one when i was at scholl, making a physic experiment (drop it on the convrete from the school roof). Unless modern one are different, the one i broke was cream color inside and just painted on top.
I think that the best use can be slowly cutting around the number and make an inlay, a cabochon or a finial out of it.

Alfred

jclark58

A member of our local club did a demo on turning billiard ball boxes, I've turned a few based on his recommendations. Its some pretty hard stuff but it can be cut with normal turning tools. Be aware that the number does not go all the way through, it's only on the outer 1/8" or so. Also, I've been told that the cue ball has a metal lattice imbedded in it.

Several of Paul Porter's billiard ball boxes can be seen near the top of this page:
http://paulporterwoodturning.com/id174.htm

Jason

workinforwood

That is a fantastic idea, salvaging the number. You drill the ball close to the edge where the number is, then cut into it with the scroll saw and glue the number to the tube which already has the proper profile since you drilled it first. then you cast it.

RMB

I have an idear... Since you can only get one blank out of it, turn it down on the lathe. just use the empty headstock and a live cup center in the tailstock (my center has a removable point) , mount it and turn it to a cylinder. Or, this might be slower, but you could just drill the ball as it comes, glue in your tubes, and put that on your mandrel.

Tell me what the insides look like when you get them! my guess would be some sort of softer material covered in hard plastic.

Top Bottom