Cutting a 1/16" metal sheet into clips - advice please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thewishman

Got a nice piece of metal that I want to make into pen clips. Starting with a simple design like a euro clip, just a circle with the clip bent 90 degrees. What would be the best way to cut it? Or what kind of shop should I be looking for to cut them for me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Got a nice piece of metal that I want to make into pen clips. Starting with a simple design like a euro clip, just a circle with the clip bent 90 degrees. What would be the best way to cut it? Or what kind of shop should I be looking for to cut them for me?

"... a nice piece of metal..." is very vague. :)
What metal is it? If it's a soft metal like brass or aluminum it can be cut or drilled with your wood tools.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Unless your going to have a die made and stamp them out a Jewelers hand saw will work about as well as anything. You can make a pattern, drill the ring and then cut them out. It depends of course on how big your sheet metal is and how much you like hand work. You will have to hand file them after sawing them. If your going to make the with a tab instead of a ring to attach them with that could make it easier to make. Cutting them with hand shears or an electric nibbler might be an option.

Snowbeast

See if you can find a sheet metal shop that cuts and forms HVAC ducts. They usually have shearing machines that would zip through thin stuff like that.

low_48

It's not going to be as easy as many are saying. I've not worked damascus, but I'm thinking it might be pretty hard. Cutting that perfect ring around the top hole is not going to be easy. Laser is going to be the easiest and cleanest. Take in your own dxf cad file to save money. A shop I stopped in years ago, charged about as much for the drawing as the laser.

Top Bottom