Customer Support....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RedBeard

....just how important is it to you?

In the year that I've been turning pens I've dealt with a handful of suppliers and most are very responsive to e-mails and a couple have been so-so but one in particular is beyond horrible. After placing an order and waiting more than a reasonable amount of time I asked this supplier not once but three times for an order status/tracking number/ETA and never received a response. My order arrived eventually and I just put the situation out of mind.

Recently I contacted the same supplier in regards to stock availability and again no response what-so-ever. Maybe it's just me but if you are running a business wouldn't you make some sort of effort to respond to a customer/potential customer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am sure there are many good reasons as to why a supplier can't get back, as well as poor ones. They have choices as to how to allocate their resources, and so do the consumers. Despite the offering of some very good products by several, I am going to stop patronizing those that do not respond in a reasonable timeframe...and as the consumer, I will determine what is reasonable. All of this well-intentioned and actually-performed making good on things is very nice, but doesn't "compensate" me for the associated blank or kit that wasted or trying to remember what I order from a suppliers 60 days ago. No one supplier is going to make it or break it from my business. This is a pretty big world and always room to serve someone else and buy from someone else. I don't sound like I am being very nice, but I thought I presented the options that both the supplier and consumer have. The kits and non-custom made blanks are commodities (basically indistinguishable from each other in appearance, quality, and function). The only way to differentiate the buying experience is with customer service and to some degree price (but the laws of supply and demand and market efficiency take care of the price; and so does the small difference in pricing.). That leaves all with how much customer service suppliers can provide (not want to, but can), and how much, as consumers we want to experience. This has been written about many times. It is fresh in my mind because I was about to place a decent order, and I stopped because despite the good intentions and character of the supplier, and my desire to patronize smaller enterprises; it just not worth the lack of communication and variability in quality and consistency of the product. There are much brighter marketing and economic minds here, this just my personal point of view.

To answer the question that you posted: Yes, I think there would be motivation on the suppliers' side to not only intend to, but actually respond - assuming nothing got in the way of the transmission or receipt of the communication. And it is so important to me, that it has changed my behavior (where I spend my money).

FWIW

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Don't forget to check you spam folder or check to see if your ISP uses any RBL's. As a business owner myself, I can't tell you how many times folks have gotten pissed at me because I supposedly did not get back to them via e-mail. When they finally use the OLD FASHIONED method of calling me, I look and sure enough, there are all my replied to their e-mail in my sent folder and 9 out of 10 times, if they do a search in their spam folder they find my replies there! Also, there are numerous times where I reply and the message gets bounced back to me as undeliverables. I shipped an order today and my system tried to send an e-mail to the address the CUSTOMER entered when they checked out and it bounced back saying there was no such user there. Then there are the times that the customer's ISP is blocking my e-mail server due to an RBL. Oh yeah, I have also had times where customers e-mailed me and I use the reply button, only to get a bounce message because they had improperly entered the reply to address in their e-mail software.

I keep saying here and other places...e-mail is NOT completely reliable as much as we like to think it is. For me, if I do not get a reply to an e-mail I send to one of my vendors in a reasonable amount of time, I don't just keep sending e-mails, I pick up the phone and call.

Yesterday I submitted a large purchase order for parts to my normal gauge supplier. They usually process my order within a few hours and I get confirmation. I did not have the confirmation 24 hours later so I sent another e-mail asking if it went through. I did not hear from them for a few more hours (not normal for them) so I called and, sure enough, my e-mail went to their new spam system.

jttheclockman

I do not know about all the blocked emails and spam folders but i do know if a vendor does not respond to my email then I am picking the phone up. You can easily resolve more problems with a simple phone call. I know we live in a world full of electronic gadgets that make it possible to void human contact but this will be the downfall of our society. A friendly phone call goes a long way.

Now with that said if they do not answer the phone they have seen the last of my business. We have so many choices of vendors today.

KenV

Steelbar and related companies still around? They used to set the standard for poor customer service.

TonyL

I lead with phone calls (usually two a few days apart), then emails. I don't expect to contact a call center with operators standing by waiting to talk to me :). I also don't expect emails to be returned the same day.

Good point about Steebar. I guess there is always someone who gives them a try at least once, or is unaware of what they may have access to (or don't have access to anything else).

jttheclockman

Steelbar and related companies still around? They used to set the standard for poor customer service.

Yes still around

Clock Parts Clock Motors Clock Dials Clock Hands & Kits

Boy I went to that site and it brought back memories. On that front page is some of the many clock designs I made for them back when that site was first starting out. ( the pyramid clock set, the 3 stantion clock set, the ships wheel, the mini clocks with the exotic wood stripes and there are many more in their catalog) The original owner was one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet or talk to. I have told this story before here but people took offense. So I do not mention it any more.

The person that owned the company and started the company was so reliable and did everything to meet orders and help people. He died after a few years and the person who took over has not done a good job and the results are there if you look at all the complaints and rating in the BBB. I spoke with him many times after he took over because he wanted me to stay on and continue doing projects but I chose to leave and have not seen him in many years now. I explained the frustration people have when he would not return emails phone calls, or send out orders. I did not want to be associated with that.

It was and still is ashame that happened to that business. I know the original owner would never had let it happened. He basically lived at that office. That was his baby.

I remember doing this watch for him( it was a joint project with John Nelson and myself) It was all the rage in the scrollsawing world when we got it done. I went on to design the stand and also a box for it. It was exclusive to Steebar only. Oh the memories. Many years ago. These are still good sellers for me:)

wrist_watch_plan__16007.1364856909.1280.1280.jpg
watch_plan__73070.1364856978.1280.1280.jpg
C_stnd__78300.1364857071.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom