Customer request

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have a customer who is looking for me to make him a pen that has a flat black finish.

My question because I have never attempted this, has anyone made a pen with a matte black finish weather it be wood, acrylic or metal??? If so do you have a photo and can you share your process??

The only thing I can think of for now is to powdercoat a metal pen. I would have to find some matte black powder. Maybe I could do it in ebony wood and come up some sort of durable finish and fill all the pores.

Looking for ideas. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Search for Chuck Key's Tactical Pen. I've always loved that pen.
I can't post a link with my Kindle

OOPS

I haven't actually tried this myself, so I am reporting what I have heard. Alumilite has a formulation called Alumilite Black. Again, from the reports I have heard, the product is a matte black and only develops a shine with significant work. So if you want a matte finish, limiting the amount of buffing/micromesh to mainly eliminate visible marks should produce what you're looking for. I am sure there are others here to have tried Alumilite black and could provide additional advice.

jttheclockman

JT,

Below is a link from PSI for the Volcanic Ash material. It's a bit pricey, but if it fulfills the customers request problem solved.

M3 Volcanic Ash Black Lava Pen Blanks at Penn State Industries

Let us know what you did to fulfill customer request.

Charlie

This has potential. I may have to get a piece and try it. Do not know how well it will stand up to handling.

Search for Chuck Key's Tactical Pen. I've always loved that pen.
I can't post a link with my Kindle

Skip I had to dig way back to find his posting. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/tactical-pens-version-2-a-25543/

But the look of the material is exactly what I would like. Delrin from what I understand can not be glued so not sure how I would handle the tube part. I read what he did but he totally custom made that pen. Not sure I want to go down that alley. I do not have taps and all for something like that.

As far as ebonite goes, I have read on some posts that it changes color or smells when it gets hot. Plus not sure I can get to a matte finish and get all the scratches out.

This will be a bit of a challenge to say the least. Still have the option of the powdercoating. Thanks for the replys. Will continue to search this out.

Tactile look.

jyreene

This has potential. I may have to get a piece and try it. Do not know how well it will stand up to handling.

Skip I had to dig way back to find his posting. http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/tactical-pens-version-2-a-25543/

But the look of the material is exactly what I would like. Delrin from what I understand can not be glued so not sure how I would handle the tube part. I read what he did but he totally custom made that pen. Not sure I want to go down that alley. I do not have taps and all for something like that.

As far as ebonite goes, I have read on some posts that it changes color or smells when it gets hot. Plus not sure I can get to a matte finish and get all the scratches out.

This will be a bit of a challenge to say the least. Still have the option of the powdercoating. Thanks for the replys. Will continue to search this out.

Tactile look.

I've used the M3 volcanic ash blanks a few times. It's hygroscopic so it will absorb the oils from your hand over time and give it a patina. I don't know how long that takes though. It drills easy but can blow out if you aren't careful. Turning is easier with carbide but not bad with HSS just lots of sharpening. Wet sand and leave be and it's matte. I tend to use some sort of scratch remover so it will take longer for the material to absorb oils and waters.

Brooks803

You're right about ebonite changing color if it gets to hot, but you can get a scratch free matte finish on it if you're careful.

On this piece I started with 400grit all the way up to 1000 and used EEE wax paste on the sandpaper on all grits. After 1000 I do the EEE by itself on a paper towel.

jcm71

Have you thought of Ukrainian Bog Oak? Just finish with a little Ren Wax.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 129

jttheclockman

If I use any wood it would have to be Gabon Ebony. Have used this wood in the past and it surely is black. But I need to fill in the grain and smooth it out. Thanks for the suggestions and will continue to look in on this topic.

Top Bottom