Customer engraving woes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mapster

I have a customer buying a 22kt Majestic Jr with blue lapis tru-stone and wants to get it engraved for his uncle. His uncle is a high ranking businessman who is ALL business. He wants to engrave

Uncle, Inspiration, Friend
Love T****

It will take up almost the whole pen. Originally we both had the idea of simply engraving his name which in my opinion would be a lot better. I know the customer is always right, but should I sit back and let the engraving "ruin" the pen or should I step in and change his mind? All comments much appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Suggest that engraving really ENHANCES a nice wood box.

Every time his uncle sees the beautiful box on the desk, he will be remembered. But the pen will not look like it came from a Gas Station!!!

el_d

You could offer a Beautiful box for his desk with the engraving, which would offer much more room for more engraving or a picture. Also a simple engraving of his initials on the pen would look more profesional.

IPD_Mrs

Charge $20 more for the job. Turn two bodies and engrave both. One your way and one his way. Show it to the customer and then let him decide. You gave him an option so it is still his decission and he is still right. You in turn remove yourself from being the bad guy.

Mapster

If I do a wood desk case like that, would just the text look good? I have seen some on kallenshaan and they usually have fancier designs to go along with it.

PapaTim

Remind the customer of his own words. His Uncle is "all business" yet the message he wants is all personal. If you have Photoshop you could photograph the finished pen and Photoshop the engraving he requested on it. That should change his mind.
As the others suggest, engrave a box with those sentiments. He could even expand it to "(recipients name) You're my Uncle, my Inspiration and my Friend. With Love and Admiration, (customers name)" on the box.

Top Bottom