Custome bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Somewhere in my cyber travels I have seen a site where you can get custom bushings made.

Does anyone know where I may have seen the site for custom hardened steel bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Any local machine shop should be able to do that for you.. just check the yellow pages... just make sure you give them a full set of dimensions and preferably a good fully dimensioned drawing of what you want

G

All that is cheaper than 2 bushings?
All I want is to make a set so I can turn my centers the same on a modified slim line design.
I have a source to gold plate the center rings.
I can make my own and have gold center rings for my own design and get rid of that stupid one that comes in the kit that make every ones slimlines look the same.
I do turn wooden, corian, and antler center rings, but some times a pen needs something bright in the middle.
That being said, Pick up all the stuff you mentioned and I'll find out what 2 bushings cost.
Send me the machinery and the stock(Ihave a toorch) and I'll send you the cost of the 2 bushings.O.K.?
We got a deal?

its_virgil

Make you own from 6061 aluminum. I had the same thought and found that I did not want to spend $50 for 3 bushings. I got some aluminum rod and made my own. Aluminum turns on a wood lathe...just take small cuts, go slow, and watch the shavings..they are sharp. But you may find a machinist who will do it at a more reasonable price. Good luck.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

patrick_1853

I dont think bushings are gonna cost that much. Theres nothing really complicated about it. The machinist I have experience with Im pretty sure could make a set in about 5 minutes. I know this because he worked with one of my classes on a project. He was able to make pretty much anything you asked for, usually in the amount of time it took to describe it. Now granted your probably gonna get charged an hour of shop time for a set, but if you can make friends you may be able to trade a pen.

Patrick

G

Thats kinda what I thought Pat.
Virgil
The purpose of the steel bushings is logevity.
I am already turning brass.I feel it's too soft for repetative use.
(I don't know about you but sometimes I've been known to "clip" a bushing)

its_virgil

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Thats kinda what I thought Pat.
Virgil
The purpose of the steel bushings is logevity.
I am already turning brass.I feel it's too soft for repetative use.
(I don't know about you but sometimes I've been known to "clip" a bushing)

I've clipped my share and understand the longevity issue...I just don't know anyone with a metal lathe and am at the mercy of the local machine shops and they seem to not want to take on such a small job. One shop said, "sure, $5 for each bushing" to which I said, Great!" And then the machinist said, "and $250 to program the CNC computer." When the aluminum gets clipped a few times, I just make another one. Works for me. But, I've since found a macinist who makes pens and understands the dilema and is willing to make me bushings at what I consider a very fair price, as long as I'm not demanding on the time frame. Looks as though you may have a machinist....Way to go Ed.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You might want to consider purchasing either a micrometer or dial calipers. That way you can make the barrels any dimension you want, without having to make a set of bushings every time you want a different barrel diameter; and the bushings are only used as spacers to hold the wood apart on the mandrel.

Most of the time I use a bushing as a reference at the tip end, sometimes at the cap, and never for the center.

G

Kim
Though it would be nice to be able to make any size bushing at will at this time I have absolutely no interest in a metal working lathe.Neither the funds or shop space will permit it.As for as a tenon cutter like that goes.I enjoy working with wood and tools.
I am not a production shop.Pretty much don't think about turning a pen with a crank or a template.
Might as well get into a computer driven set-up and spit pens out all day long and say"This is what I made"(NOT),
Russ.
The purpose for the bushings is so I can get custom parts plated.
I like the design flexibility of working with inexpensive kits.I too when working with slim lines omit the center ring provided with the kit,but I can get rings turned in brass plated.
To save me time I can have the rings plated ahead of time and use them when assembling the kit.The bushings would provide a uniformity.
Take a look at a display of dlim lines with the center ring.They are either modified with a wood,or acrylic center ring or have a wasp waist.
Envision if you will, making 10 modified slimlines each with it's own custom brass center ring,let's say7/16 of an inch dia at the center.
It takes 30 seconds to plate them.I don't want to have to keep track of 10 separate rings and try to figure out which ring goes to which pen.
If you use a busing for the tip when you make your pens why not just use a caliper as you suggested?
Time right? accuracy?

baldysm

Bah, $5 for a bushing and $250 to program CNC for a bushing? That's not a machinist, that's some guy who can't look outside of a very small box. Would take 5 minutes tops to program a CNC machine to do a bushing, and 10 minutes to cut it by hand on a bigger lathe than a Sherline.

If anyone wants a set of custom bushings, send me $15 and a sketch and I'll make them.

Paul in OKC

My 2 cents on the subject. I don't think I'm an old fart yet, but I am a machinist(manual and CNC)and a penmaker. I also do machine work at home as a hobby. I have done custom bushings and mandrels for some on this and the "other" board. Would be glad to look at any custom needs. My time is tight at the moment, as we prepare for a baby boy due in four weeks, but can usually squeeze in a project!

its_virgil

Paul has made bushings and tools for me, he is good and the price is fair. His drilling vice for holding pen blanks is the "best in the west" or anywhere else. I've used every blank drilling vice out there, both commercial and homemade, and I will never be without one of Paul's vices. Do give him a call. You can't go wrong.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />My 2 cents on the subject. I don't think I'm an old fart yet, but I am a machinist(manual and CNC)and a penmaker. I also do machine work at home as a hobby. I have done custom bushings and mandrels for some on this and the "other" board. Would be glad to look at any custom needs. My time is tight at the moment, as we prepare for a baby boy due in four weeks, but can usually squeeze in a project!

wayneis

Paul in OKC,Did you recieve my e-mail about your drilling vise? For some reason, sending an e-mail from here most often does not get through to people. I understand you have a special time coming and am willing to wait, not in a hurry, just want to be on your list of things to get to.

Wayne

G

J-
I guess I didn't make myself clear.In this picture there are 2 pens that look similar.
One has a center band one doesn't.The centerband from the pen on the right does not fit the one on the left.
Both are slimline pens,I can turn the ring out of brass and have it plaed by one of my customers.I would like to beable to repeat that pen as many times as I need to.
It wouldget away from wasp waisted pens using slimline kits.Other than my time the cost to plate teh brass ring is minimal.
The brass is pieces I have picked up cheap at flea markets.
I would preturn the brass ringsto size, get them palted.
Custom turn any shape I want and assemble the pens witht he ring,now plated.
http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/Eaglesc/98%20005.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom