Custom writing tip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

This is something I have wanted to try for some time.
I don't have a metal lathe so I got creative and was able to turn this out of a 1/2" brass round stock. Just need to chuck it back up and part it off.
I put ren wax on it but I doubt that will keep it from tarnishing.
Will be making an aluminum centerband and use them on a segmented twist.
Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• custom_tip.jpg
    custom_tip.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dulos

Would love to hear more about your process. Are there any tricks to making this piece? I am assuming you turned this on your wood lathe.

Dale Allen

Paul, no tricks to it but maybe some tools you may not have.
I'll try to keep this short. I began with a brass piece about 3/8" longer then the finished part. I use a pin jaw on my scroll chuck and drill both ends with a center drill. That's how I make plugs for making my own TBC bushings but in this case I measured a tip for a 7mm kit and drilled from one end, 3 stepped sizes to match. Then I made a smaller bushing to go into the larger hole and set it up to turn between centers. Then it was a matter of very slowly cutting the shape. I use a very sharp 1" wide square end scraper for the angled part and parting tools for the rest. Part off the small end and then hold the large end in the pin jaws to finish the polishing. Polish used was white stuff from stropping wheel and #2 Novus.
I'm going to use it on a segmented pen with a closed upper end and no clip.
That way I'll find out how well I did on the sizing.

Below is a picture of the bushing and the piece that was parted off the small end.

Attachments

• tip_parts.jpg
    tip_parts.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 122
Top Bottom