Custom wooden cap for a Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have a gent that I made the other day (my second gent) that did not come with the clip end cap. Instead it had an extra band. Thus starts my Gent pen part collection.

Anyhow, the clip was in the kit, and the pen has a nice blackwood oops-accent band where the clip end is. I was thinking about skipping the endcap altogether and putting a blackwood cap there. The trick would be machining the thing to right diameter and also making a tenon that would fit into the tube strong enough to hold the clip and stay intact (CA glue would be a must I guess).

Any thoughts on this?

vick

I do it all the time. I turn a tendon on the end cap that fits in the tube and just rough turn the part that will be the final. I hold the cap on a pinchuck and insert the final and turn it like a one piece solid body.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
You mean something like this?

200693211744_herringbone%20finished%20015.jpg
<br />

200693211645_herringbone%20finished%20001.jpg
<br />

It isn't a simple matter of a tenon.
the cap is hollow so the nib can fit into it if you goofed on your dimensions

redfishsc

Yes, Eagle, JUST like that. I LIKE THAT PEN, great work. I hope you're getting several c-notes for pens like that!

I see how you did that-- I'll use the plunge caliper to measure how much nib clearance I have before making the tenon, and I'll funnel the shape a bit IF I go that route. The problem is that I have already put the ti-gold cap on the refill-end of the pen, so it will look a bit lopsided with a gold cap on one end and a wooden cap on the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom