Custom turned finial?...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Alright guys, I have a question regarding turning a custom finial for a kit pen. The second pen I turned, almost a year ago, was a Majestic. I used a Black and White Ebony blank. I thought it looked awesome at the time, but I had flipped one of the blanks when turning and the grain didn't line up well and I've sort of grown to not like B-W Ebony that much anymore as well. I'm planning to dismantle the pen and re-turn the pen using Amboyna Burl, or maybe even HRW (not sure just yet). And allthough the stock finial for the cap is very nice, I'm wondering if a custom finial turned from the same wood might look better. Herein lies my question. How is the stock finial on a Majestic attached and is it possible to remove it? Obviously I don't want to start "prying" at it and scratch the pen finish up so what's the best way to go about it? or is it even possible?

Thanks for the help!

Wasn't sure if this should be in the "advanced" forum or not. Mods, please move if needed.

Attachments

• Majestic(B-W-Ebony).jpg
    Majestic(B-W-Ebony).jpg
    106 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hendu3270

Easy to do. Just take a small punch and knock it out from the inside. There is a little hole in the finial body you can go through.

Ahh, I gotcha. I've been thinking of this the past few days and posted before I even looked down into the cap. Appreciate it :wink:

Top Bottom