Custom Supply Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
I'm still fairly new to this, so I have yet to even see one of the higher end Rollerball or Fountain pens in person. However, I do have a few questions concerning them and a few other things. I am going to be attempting some custom work and would love to be able to narrow down what supplies I might possibly be able to use... So any help would be greatly appreciated!!

· Of all the Rollerball/Fountain pens, which models would have the most amount of material left on the blanks if turned down to the bushings and roughly what would you estimate that thickness of material left to be?

· What is the thinnest you can turn a blank without compromising its strength too much? I am assuming this will depend on the blank material.
o So what materials would allow me to get it as close to the tube as possible?

· Has anyone around here ever used the M3 Solid Metal Pen Blanks before?
o How has your experience been?
o Is it hard on the turning tools?
o Would it be possible to carve this material with hand carving tools or a rotary tool?
o Are any of their materials softer then one another or are they pretty much the same regardless of the type?

Many thanks in advance!!!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Responses embedded to save typing.

I'm still fairly new to this, so I have yet to even see one of the higher end Rollerball or Fountain pens in person. However, I do have a few questions concerning them and a few other things. I am going to be attempting some custom work and would love to be able to narrow down what supplies I might possibly be able to use... So any help would be greatly appreciated!!

· Of all the Rollerball/Fountain pens, which models would have the most amount of material left on the blanks if turned down to the bushings and roughly what would you estimate that thickness of material left to be? Barons and Sedonas from Berea, Jrs and SrS Gent, Statesman from CS USA. <1/32"

· What is the thinnest you can turn a blank without compromising its strength too much? As long as it cover the brass tube, there's no real limit. The structural strength in a standard kit comes from the brass tube. I am assuming this will depend on the blank material.
o So what materials would allow me to get it as close to the tube as possible? Anything that is not translucent.

· Has anyone around here ever used the M3 Solid Metal Pen Blanks before?
o How has your experience been? They make beautiful pens.
o Is it hard on the turning tools? They dull edges very quickly and require lots of honing.
o Would it be possible to carve this material with hand carving tools or a rotary tool? Yes, they are resin plus powdered metal, not solid metal.
o Are any of their materials softer then one another or are they pretty much the same regardless of the type? The Damascus seems lots harder.

Many thanks in advance!!!

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the quick reply Lou!!

With < 1/32 thickness to work with i may have to make my own end cap...

Guess i'll order one of the kits you mentioned and work with it.

One more question: Do you know if the M3 Solid Metal Pen Blanks can be laser engraved?

I'm sure i'll have many more questions to come...

Thanks again!!

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader

One more question: Do you know if the M3 Solid Metal Pen Blanks can be laser engraved?

Don't see why not .. I know you can engrave metal, and I know you can
engrave resins. So a resin metal mix makes sense to me. But I haven't done
it. The engraver would probably want to know what he's working on though.
There's different laser settings for different materials..

Top Bottom