Custom pen clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chromey

I am interested to find out if I can epoxy a tie tac to a pen clip, or does it "have" to be soldered. I do not want to ruin clip with heat. Epoxy, JD weld ...what would be best, anyone tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CREID

Duct tape and Elmer's glue is what I would do.
Well actually, you probably need to solder or weld it and then have it plated.
Curt

Chromey

Curt

Don't forget the bailing wire, LOL :biggrin: Wouldn't plating affect the piece I'm attaching??

Last edited:

SteveG

I have not done this with a clip, but have attached a tie tack to a pen barrel using epoxy. A typical tie tack will already have a pin attached which can be cut shorter suitable to your application. Careful drilling of the clip will provide a solid anchor point. I expect that it will work. Remember that epoxy will give an initial cure in the specified time, but will gradually strengthen the cure with additional time, so give it the extra time before you "test" the strength of the epoxy joint.

CREID

Curt

Don't forget the bailing wire, LOL :biggrin: Wouldn't plating affect the piece I'm attaching??
I'm not sure what you mean by the piece you're attaching.
I assume you are going to attach a tie clip to an existing pen clip. the soldering or welding of the two together would either destroy the plating on the pen clip orthe plating would have to be removed for it to be attached, so you nwould need to replate. If the pen is just for show and not used you could glue it on but it wouldn't last long if it was a pen that was used a lot.
Curt

Top Bottom