Custom Metal Finial Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmbaker79

SO....I am in need, potentially, of a custom made finial for a full size Statesman. Most likely on both ends. These would need to be made from metal, with some cnc equipment..and probably plated..Wondering where I turn too....I plan to post this in the Wanted Section, but I am in a time crunch, and need as many people to see it as possible. My inbox has lots of room :wink: and Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use stainless steel bolts, collet chuck, and a file to shape. Then a fine sharpening stone then wet sandpaper to get the scratches out and Mother's mag and aluminum polish to get the shine.

Ed McDonnell

Given your time crunch, you will not want to mess around with a hobbyist that might take on your challenge more for fun than for profit. I'm also guessing you might not have the toolpaths generated for your part. For what professional design / cnc machining / plating would likely cost you for a little one off job like this you could probably have something cast in silver for about the same price....probably less.

Why not talk with Mike at silverpenparts and see what he can do for you. He might even have something ready to go that might meet your needs.

Ed

jmbaker79

Thanks, thats sorta what I am looking for and thinking. I have another route I can take as far as jeweler casting but like to keep it in the IAP family if possible....

Ed McDonnell

If you could live with pewter, you could have somebody machine your part in wax (which would be way cheaper than metal). Then you could make a silicone mold for yourself. A chunk of pewter, soup can, torch and common sense is all you need to cast your own pewter finials.

Just a thought.

By the way, Mike at silverpenparts is very active here on IAP as mredburn. He knows pens and he casts silver. That puts him way ahead of the average jeweler who doesn't know pens. Something to consider if you only have time to do it once.

Good luck.

Ed

jmbaker79

is there any other way? Im hoping to stick with stock finials, but sometimes you have to give them what they want, not what they need! Just want to know what the dealski is and to know what I am talking about during the discussion, cover all my avenues!

jmbaker79

Thanks Ed, email is out his way! Again I would send it to him, or anyone else here before we went the jeweler route. And thanks for the advice, that may be my best option....

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Besides the Email Can you just replace the center of the finial on the Statesman? That might be the best route for short time frame. Of course if you have a large enough budget we can throw money at it until its solved.

Top Bottom