Custom finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
After making my first JR gent and knowing I will be making more I would like to know what I need to make custom finial or what the part on the top of the cap is called. I have seen a good number of them here and they really aid a special touch. Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

There pretty simple Dan. Here's what I do... Drill a hole in a scrap piece of wood, just smaller than the outer diameter of the pen top piece. Set it upside down over the hole and tap out the stock material with a punch. Then glue a piece of the blank or material you want to make the custom finial out of to a 3/4" square by 2" piece of wood. I use epoxy and let it cute over night. I put the small block in my Nova chuck with the glued on material sticking outward. I turn the material to the proper diameter, measuring with calipers so I don't have to take the block out of the chuck, and then sand and micro mesh like usual before using a small cut cut off tool to part it off about a 1/4" back. I use a very small old standard screw driver that I filed to a point on the belt sander. As it gets close, it will fall off leaving a small stem, which will drop in the hole of the cap piece helping to center it in place. Then I use epoxy and glue it in place. You can polish it on the Buffon wheel after the epoxy dries. I'm sure others will have easier ideas but this is what works for me.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for all the help. Curly I'm glad you sent me the link it was helpful and we should share things like this. Now I need to find a good price on plug cutters and collet chuck.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I have come up with another way, I ran this by longbeard and he think is will work better then using a nova type chuck. I'm planning on using a drill chuck mounted in the headstock, Turn the blank round to fit the chuck and then turn the finial from there. I still need to get the drill chuck, I saw a PSI 1/2" chuck on Amazon for about $25.00 and it prime. I guess I could see what HF has too.

Dan Masshardt

Wow.

Just put the top barrel blank a little too long in your chuck with pin jaws.

Turn and polish to size using the cap finial with the stock insert popped out to check size as you go.

Part off with thin parting tool.

All set up to drill the cap blank then. So easy I wouldn't dream of doing it any other way. If you want a different material just use that blank. There is enough waste on almost any blank for a finial.

After the pen is assembled, glue the piece in.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Well I guess if I had a chuck and the jaws to go with it I would do it that way, but I don't and I'm trying to find a way to do it at a lower cost. Maybe I should look at a drill chuck that mount to the threads of the headstock.

longbeard

Never seen one like that before, make sure it matches your threads on the head stock. The drill chuck with an arbor, just make sure the end of the arbor that goes into the head stock is drilled and threaded. Then use a piece of all thread that when screwed into the end of the arbor will reach thru to the outside of your hand wheel, then put a large washer and nut on it, then snug it down. This will keep the drill chuck from coming out while turning.

Harry

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Like this Amazon.com: PSI Woodworking TM42 Headstock Mount Lathe Drill Chuck: Home Improvement. It should work with out coming off. What do you think Harry?

If you get a regular mt2 Chuck it will work in both the headstock and tailstock.

That one will prevent you from being able to use in the tailstock to drill into turnings at a later time.

Also, I've never regretted getting the keyless Jacobs chuck. I hate keys for drills.

Seriously though, are you going to turn other stuff or just pens? A scroll chuck is an an investment you're not likely to regret and which carries a good resale value even if you do.

its_virgil

If you have a faceplate you can attach a block of wood and glue the finial material to it then use John U's method. Don't need a chuck. Most lathes come with a faceplate. NO $$ spent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom