CUSTOM COUPLING PARTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

babyblues

As of late, I've spent an inordinate amount of time envying the Gisi pens. I could only hope to attain that level of creativity some day. I noticed that most of the pictures on their website look like they used the coupling parts from kit pens, but some of the more recent designs look to be custom jobs. I e-mailed them about it and Brian replied and said that they have been working with a machinist who turned custom coupling parts on a CNC machine. They've been contemplating making these coupling parts available to other turners as a higher quality alternative to the standard kits, but have been apprehensive as they require more creativity then the "press and go" kits, as he put it. He said that the cost is about the same as a middle of the road FP kit.

How many of you would be interested in something like that? I think it would be an awesome opportunity to improve our craft. What do you all think?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
If I could find a 3 start threaded plastic insert for the cap and a matching stainless steel connector for the pen, with internal threads that would take a standard screw-in nib, then I would certainly be interested. If they came without any trim rings that would be a great bonus too. :)

Tim

I have also spent time admiring Gisi pens. I am inspired to work on creating my own pen blanks to try to capture some of their creativity.

drayman

truth be known, i think everyone would be interestd. the possibilaties would be endless.

Here is the web address... I had to do a search and look them up to see what the do..

http://www.gisiwriting.com/page/page/1858900.htm

The craftsmanship is exquisite, but personally, I find them to be on the gaudy side.. I much prefer the simpler styles I see from most of the turners on this forum.. I like the woods and plastics for their simplicity and spectacular color.

I am in awe of some of the work turned out by the craftsmen on IAP and TPS.

babyblues

Originally posted by drayman

truth be known, i think everyone would be interestd. the possibilaties would be endless.
That's exactly what I was thinking. The Gisi's style isn't for everyone, but their creativity is remarkable. I get kind of bored with the kit pens in that one is very much like another. There's only so much you can do between bushings. Don't get me wrong, I think some of them look spectacular, but creativity is what this hobby is all about to me. There's just something about taking a block of wood or a piece of plastic and making a pen out of it.

txcwboy

I would love for someone to make the "press to fit " parts out of Titanium. You can anodize them with voltage and change the color for different barrel colors.Titanium will produce some STUNNING colors anodized. SO Yeah I am game also.

Dave

btboone

Dave, anodized titanium is best left for details inside grooves. Although it is a very hard surface, it is extremely thin, so nets out only being about as hard as glass, so just about any metal will scratch it. It does look prett cool though.

Top Bottom