Custom center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

emtmike

I want to make a pen with bird’s eye maple and I want to make my own center band from deer antler. Is there a trick to making you own center band?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Make sure you use your pen mill to 'square' both ends of the CB. Glue the CB to your wood blank with an extended brass tube. Trim the tube to the desired length and then turn your blank (with attached CB) in the usual fasshion. If using antler for your CB, turn slowly and hope that the stink does not irritate too much. Oh yes, it will smell.

-Peter-

Scott

Hi Mike,

Yes, there is a trick! You have to turn it on your lathe! [8D]

Actually, making a custom centerband is only limited by your imagination! It depends on the kit you are using and how the centerband is used in terms of functionality of the pen. For instance, the centerband on a standard slimline kit is pretty much just for looks. If you want to take one of your slimlines you've made and just eliminate the factory centerband, it will work just fine. This really open up your possibilities with this kit because there are really few restrictions on the custom band you produce.

I have an article on this site that might help explain how to make a basic custom centerband. Here's the link:

http://www.penturners.org/content/aaw-winter03-36-41pens.pdf

If you're using another type of kit, let us know and someone is sure to jump in and suggest some neat modifications that might suit your purposes! Good Luck!

Scott.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I show a different way to make a center-band on my website at http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen51a.html

or you can cut them from pick-guard, old credit cards, or any other colored sheet plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom