CUSA European Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

joeatact

I had some of these kits just laying around and today I thought I
would make one. Well I have made Berea European ones with no problems
but these I cannot get the twist mechanism to work. I adjust to where the point is just right but it pushes the twist mechanism way past the mark on the mechanism. The instructions says to push it in 1/4 past the line on the twist mechanism of course if you do this the thing is to far in and the drag from the tube prevents it from turning. Its the same way after I adjusted the point to where I like it. I think the lower barrel is longer then the berea and this is the difference. Any suggestions? I made the barrels to spec.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

punkinn

Originally posted by joeatact
<br />I had some of these kits just laying around and today I thought I
would make one. Well I have made Berea European ones with no problems
but these I cannot get the twist mechanism to work. I adjust to where the point is just right but it pushes the twist mechanism way past the mark on the mechanism. The instructions says to push it in 1/4 past the line on the twist mechanism of course if you do this the thing is to far in and the drag from the tube prevents it from turning. Its the same way after I adjusted the point to where I like it. I think the lower barrel is longer then the berea and this is the difference. Any suggestions? I made the barrels to spec.

I use this kit a lot. A LOT. I don't have any issues with the mechanism though. What I do when I'm assembling, is to insert the mechanism to the "line", then make several marks on the exposed mechanism with a sharpie. Then I gradually press it in further, checking the position after every 1/16" of an inch or so by inserting the refill. Then I remove it, and press further, repeating this process until the point extends just right.

I don't think it is, but I hope this is of some help to you.

Nancy

JimQ

If you are having problems with the lower tube stopping the transmission from turning, you probably have something on the inside of the tube, like glue. Or else the trans twisted when you were pushing it in and it is crimped. DAMHIK!

JimQ

fuzzydog

Joe; Nancy and Jim are right on the money as a way to proceed. Some CSUSA kits have this feature. I inserted one till it was just the way I wanted it, than measured the lower barrel with the twist mechanism, cut a waste block to that length and the waste block became a stop block, when the ram hits the block I stop and the mechanism is set correctly.
David
Juneau, AK

rtparso

David is right the importent measuerment is from the tip of the pen to the back end of the twist mechanism. I use the same block for the slimline.

joeatact

Thanks for all the help. I was just woundering if I was missing something. Having installed twist mechanisms hundreds of times I thought I was doing something wrong. Heres how I fixed the problem but I don't know which thing actually worked. First I cleaned out the tube with a gun barrel brissel brush. Then I applied some gun oil to the inside of the tube and then I used a new twist mechanism. And wa la it works now go figure. Hope this problem can help someone else with a simular one.

Here is a link to the finished pen; http://tinyurl.com/flv7n
Its made from lignum vitae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom