Curvy Antler Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

I have a section of antler that I want to use on the nib side of a Jr. Gent. The problem is it is a little to curved to drill as is without drilling out the side. I have heard of boiling the antler then clamping it to straighten it out. Is there any other option and if not how long should the antler boil before it is placed in a clamp? Also how long should it stay clamped?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions provided.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alexanderpens

Depending on the section of antler, boil for 50 min to an hour. The longest time can be up to two hours, after the first hour pull the piece out and (with a towel protecting your hands,) check if the antler gives a little when bent. Then clamp to a straight board for 24 hours. After that, you're good to go.

If indian weaponry has taught me anything, it's how to treat materials.

seamus7227

Why not just turn between centers and and make the adjustments necessary to get the most out of it. Once its round, its much easier to drill a straight hole!

its_virgil

Depending on just how curved it is this may be an option. Mount the antler section between centers, turn on the lathe and look at the shadow/image formed while spinning. Adjust to get the largest "shadow. Then, turn the piece round and it will produce a cylinder...or close to a cylinder.Now it can be drilled. If the piece is really curved this may not work. I straighten curved pieces this way and drilling out the side has stopped happening.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Looks like Seamus was giving the same answer as I was typing mine.:biggrin::biggrin:

I have a section of antler that I want to use on the nib side of a Jr. Gent. The problem is it is a little to curved to drill as is without drilling out the side. I have heard of boiling the antler then clamping it to straighten it out. Is there any other option and if not how long should the antler boil before it is placed in a clamp? Also how long should it stay clamped?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions provided.

IPD_Mrs

Thanks for all suggestions. I think I will try boiling it this weekend and will let everyone know how this turns out. The curve on the antler is too much to try JRC's method. :frown:

leestoresund

I have merely soaked them overnight in water and then squeezed them in a vice and let them sit there for about a day. I'm talking about pieces 5"-7".

Lee

Top Bottom