CSUSA's Combo Pen/Pencil kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I am looking at CSUSA's combo pen/pencil combo kit (10k is all that's avail , unfortunately).

I need a combination pen/pencil kit that I would like to make as a gift for the owner of my company (cabinet shop). He uses pens and pencils a LOT and has a Stapls combination pen/pencil that he's been using for the last two years.

Is the CSUSA kit reliable? I hear that click-style pens and pencils can be troublesome.

Are there any mfrs out that offer this kit in tougher plating, like Ti, chrome, platinum?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alparent

I've never seen combo pens in anything but gold plating. I also wish they where available in better plating.

I personally have the combo from PSI (I think it looks less girly then the other ones) and I just love it.
They also come with an optional comfort grip that some clients really like.
They are my biggest seller up to now.

I got them from Woodturningz and only had a problem with one transmission (called them up and they sent another one).
If you do get the ones from PSI, don't rely on the bushings. I find they are a bit under size. Use a caliper.

I've also ordered the combo from Berea but have not done any of those yet.

twoofakind

I have did about a dozen of the PSI kits and 6 of the CSUSA kits. I have had to replace three of the transmissions on the PSI kits so far. The CSUSA kits have seemed to hold up better, but if you compare them side by side the transmissions look identical. In fact I put a csusa trans in a psi body over the weekend and it works fine. Over all I would say the CSUSA kit seems to be a little better as far as performance in the long run. Hope this helps.
Andy

bonefish

This is a scan of a pen and pencil set I made from a Perfect Fit Chrome kit.

The wood is stabilized and gold dyed Box Elder Burl.

I think this kit comes in other platings, also.

Bonefish

2006927224614_Pen%20and%20Pencil.jpg

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by bonefish
<br />This is a scan of a pen and pencil set I made from a Perfect Fit Chrome kit.

The wood is stabilized and gold dyed Box Elder Burl.

I think this kit comes in other platings, also.

Bonefish

2006927224614_Pen%20and%20Pencil.jpg

Very nice work, but they were talking about a pen and pencil contained within one kit.

Firefyter-emt

Gotta add in a failed kit here too. On top of a failed kit, the pen when it was working had a "Wal-Mart / 7-11 $1.99 pen" feel to the kit. Unless you do not like your boss, I would look into a nice pencil kit instead. (FYI, for some odd reason, the 10k plating started to wear on the nib where it sat against my finger within a few weeks of use.

redfishsc

Man, that's some discouraging news. I was hoping for a bit better report.

I guess I'd like to make him a pencil that's somewhere between the size a cigar and a slimline--- with a click action, NOT a twist action. What would you all recommend?

This will be for use in a cabinet shop and the twist action is a bit of a pain. The cigar is just too big for a pencil, I have one and I always snap the lead when I try to mark on plywood, even the 2H lead I put in it.

Is the "Perfect Fit" a twist pencil or click?

clewless

I've made 1/2 dozen of the CSUSA combo...they are extremely length sensitive, so be light on the pen mill...my wife took one and uses it daily and she likes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom