CSUSA's Apprentice Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy_

I was just adding these kits to the PRC and noticed that the bushings are a buck cheaper than the bushings for the corresponding standard kit. Does anyone know if these kits are the same size as the standard kits.....are the parts interchangeable?? I wonder if there is any difference in the bushings other than the price??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johnnycnc

Randy,look at the instructions for these.
The bushing sizes look to be a little different on
the instructions,than the "regular" kits.
It makes me wonder.

Randy_

John: Sadly, neither the pens nor the instructions are on the web site, yet, and I have not purchased any of the kits so your suggestion won't work for me.

That suite of pens wasn't developed overnight and neither was the catalog that displays the new kits. Given that there was plenty of lead time available, it is an absolute mystery to me why the web site cannot keep up with the catalog. I wonder if CSUSA will ever get that figured out??

Ron Mc

LOL....Take a look at the price of the cigar kits. Now go look at the price of the same upgrade gold cigar kits.

Randy_

Red: I went to the CSUSA page where they list all of their kit instructions and there were "NO" instructions listed for any of the Apprentice kits. And I plugged "apprentice" into the search function and got a few hits for chisels and other tools; but "NO" pen kits.

Why don't you just be a nice guy and post a link for me??

johnnycnc

Alrighty,then!![:D]
What Alfred said,more or less;
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Pen_Making___Apprentice_Pen_Kits?Args=
Go to a kit,then the instructions are there as a PDF.
I saw someone's post recently about econo-grade
slimlines with a larger nib than usual.
The "apprentice" slimline calls for .337 bushings.
CSUSA's regular slimline bushings mic. .333

My personal thoughts below,sorry,can't help it.
(I can imagine the possibilities for aggravated customers.
Sure,IF you read carefully,their instructions mention
that the apprentice kits need different bushings.BUT...
It also tells me these are from different tooling at
minimum,and probably a totally different factory.
So,the plating is not the only difference.
None for me,thanks.I'll stick with the regular slimline
at 4.25 or so.I know they are good quality,and my time
in turning,and my reputation that goes with a pen,makes it
an easy choice for me.
Caveat Emptor.)

bitshird

Well guys I don’t think these are the standard Rizheng kits, I just mic'd the Nibs on 4 different fancy slim lines and 3 were .3354 1 was .3355 Would you recommend using a.337 bushing? The regular Rizheng fancy slim line bushings are .335 with calipers,
The Rizheng Cigar Nib mic at .458, the trim cap is .5756 the Coupler is .528. but that as we know is a deceptive measurement, since the actual part edge is a radius, guesstimate about 1/16 (radius gauges are at work) and the cap /clip reads .4743 so all of the cigar parts are around .0015 -.002 larger than I imagine since this stuff is all CNCd that they can hold .0002 to .0004 even when the machines need new tooling, is not Rhizheng, if the rendering is at all accurate the Rizheng uses a different transmission, the ones I have came with the brass threaded coupler and the plastic inside, the ones from CSUSA look like they have the all metal transmissions.
Ken Ferrell

Randy_

Alfred: Thanks to you and the others who posted useful responses. Obviously, I have back off from my earlier statement that the information was not on the CSUSA web site. It is there; but not quite as accessible as one might hope. I have their "Instruction List" booked-marked and when I didn't find the information there, I immediately visited the web site search function and, inexplicably, returned no hits for the pen kits??

From what I have seen on the web site and from what everyone has said, it does seem that these kits (bushings and hardware) are truly different from the standard kits. OTOH, the drill sizes are the same, suggesting that the tubes might be the same size. If that turns out to be true, it is still possible that mixing and interchanging parts might be possible.

avbill

cigar apprentice dif

drill 10mm 25/64 .0011

I use a X drill bit for my cigar pens and use gorilla glue if turning wood for acrylic i use 10mm and use med CA

the drill size is the same for apprentice and csusa regular cigar. not having bought a cigar pen i cannot give a difference between the tubes between different manufacturers. your not going to get the different finishes with the apprentice as with other manufacturers,just gold platting.

bill Daniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom