Csusa Exec Roller Bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayDevin

Hello all, Need some advice.
I recently bought some of the Exec Rollerball pens from Craft Supply, The first set of bushings would not go on my 7mm mandrel
too small, Called CS and they sent out another set.......same thing too small....they appear to be 6mm not 7mm....so I have 2 kits all glued and drilled and ready to turn and now have 2 sets of bushings that wont fit. SHould I go to the trouble of trying to drill out the bushings? Try and turn with calipers only? I have 2 very pretty acrylic blanks that are now committed to this kit. I could call CS again but a third set of non fittung blanks is not the solution. I also have 2 more of this kit that is useless with out bushings.....arrrrrgh! Jay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
It seems to me that you have the wrong mandrel. There is an "A" mandrel and a "B" mandrel. The problem is not the bushings but the wrong size mandrel. "A" mandrels are 6+ mm, "B" mandrels are 7+ mm. Usually if not stated in the description of a pen, it will be the 6+ mm or "A" size.

This is an unfortunate learning curve that does occur regularly. The purpose of the B mandrels is that they are less prone to flexing and out of round pens.

You can bypass the problem with the "no Mandrel" approach. Do a search for "No Mandrel".

Dusty

Jay, why don't you just turn between centers and not use the mandrel? if you have not tried it you should give it a shot, you probably won't use the mandrel any more once you have gone this route.
Chuck

Brewmeister35

I've gotten bushings that don't fit the mandrel as well. Sometimes they have a burr on the I.D. and won't fit right. Sometimes they will fit on 1 mandrel but not another and other times I take them to work and have a machinist ream them to the correct size. Good luck

Rifleman1776

Measure your mandrel to determine, for sure, if it is an A or B and if it is the proper size it should be. Then measure the inside diameter of the bushings in question. If you don't have a caliper that will do that, just use drill bits working up until you get a 'no go' size then see what size that is.

Randy_

The 7mm or "A" mandrel should be about 0.246" or a few thou less if you have the one from PSI. The "B" mandrel from Berea or their resellers should measure 0.291".

Once you have determined that your mandrel is the correct size, I would call CSUSA again and complain bitterly!!

Drilling out your bushings probably won't be successful as it is difficule to do accurately.

Are the bushings just a snug fit or will they just not fit at all? I once once received a set of bushings that was a little snug so I polished the inside of the bore with some 600 grit sandpaper and after a few minutes of work, they fit just fine.

JayDevin

Randy and Steve,
yes these are the only bushings that dont fit. CS has already sent me another set of ones that dont fit. I know that I have a A mandrel. I amd still smoldering ans I have cut some really nice blanks for those 2 pens and I have yet to be calm enuff to try any fix....they will go over the threaded part then stop. Both sets. on 2 diff mandrels...and I have many styles of pens....check out the album....this was a new style to try......

JayDevin

UPDATE....

I went out armed with a drill and the lathe and some umph and got the damn things to go on the mandrel.
they had plating or some other gunk that changes the clearance just enought to make them difficult/not fit....maybe tomorrow I will get th other set "fixed".....still smoldering tho.....jay

ericatcraft

I just emailed Jay with my solution but here it is for everyone in case you have similar problems in the future.

Sometimes when the bushings are parted after being machined a small amount of metal gets folded over into the inside of the bushing. You cannot usually look at it and see it. By taking a razor blade and running it along the inside of the bushing to remove a very small amount of metal you can fix the problem and the bushings will fit the mandrel. I had the same problem with the executive rollerball bushings I grabbed from our warehouse that he was having and after using a razor blade they fit the mandrel just fine.

This step is usually done by our manufacturer and if there is a problem it is normally with just one bushing and not an entire set. I believe the step may have been skipped by the manufacturer this time and our quality control staff is checking this particular run of bushings.

I hope this helps, as I told Jay, if it doesn't work or if you don't want to take this step call our technical support staff and they will get you a set of bushings that does fit with no problems.

gerryr

Originally posted by JayDevin
<br />UPDATE....

I went out armed with a drill and the lathe and some umph and got the damn things to go on the mandrel.
they had plating or some other gunk that changes the clearance just enought to make them difficult/not fit....maybe tomorrow I will get th other set "fixed".....still smoldering tho.....jay

If you get upset about something as minor as this, don't even consider buying any Berea round top Euro rollerball/fountain pen kits because the bushings are almost totally useless.

Randy_

Originally posted by ericatcraft
<br />.....By taking a razor blade and running it along the inside <b>("EDGE")</b> of the bushing to remove a very small amount of metal you can fix the problem and the bushings will fit the mandrel.....

I added a word to Eric's comments. For any who are confused, I think he is suggesting that you chamfer the hole that is drilled into the bushing??

JayDevin

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />
Originally posted by JayDevin
<br />UPDATE....

If you get upset about something as minor as this, don't even consider buying any Berea round top Euro rollerball/fountain pen kits because the bushings are almost totally useless.
Gerryr, those of us who work full time and have limited time for turning, dont enjoy wasting time calling back suppliers waiting for replacements and working on fixes when you want to have a good time turning. I will not do any more euro kits from anyone,as I hate it with a passion. I will also not repurchase shoddy products.
Eric from Craft supply sent me a note, he gets my point, He is correcting the problem, and no one else should have it. If I had not mentioned it,looking for help, CS would have unhappy folks and spending money sending out replacement parts that may have needed to be recalled,did you let Berea know they have have useless bushings? Thanks for the warning! Let me know of any other faulty products so I can avoid them.

gerryr

Contrary to what you may think, I have a job working for a rapidly growing engineering/construction firm. I am not retired and do not turn full time. I also dislike wasting time. My point is that this, the big scheme of things, is not a big deal. A properly sized drill bit would have solved the problem instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom