CSUSA Americana Rollerball Caution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philthephlier

I have messed up with at least 3 of these kits and made the same mistake all three times. Having turned several dozen pens of different model kits I had developed a form of what psychologists call persistence of set. In this case i had gotten used to the idea that pen kits with two barrels of different lengths usually use the shorter tube for the cap and the longer tube for the base. This kit is the reverse and instead of carefully reading the assembly instructions I proceeded on the assumption that this was just another kit of that type. Wrong! I wasn't wild about this kit at first because I originally had the opinion that the plastic insert that grabs the nib or the end coupler when it snaps open or closed would not hold up and would soon loosen. It has not happened with any of the pens I assembled correctly. The 24K Gold kit I will stay away from due to a plating issue but the Rhodium model makes a nice pen. Just follow the directions and everything will be jake.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

If I am reading you correctly, you got the tubes swapped out? I thought this pen used two 10mm tubes, and the bushings are not tapered--- so I can't quite see how swapping the tubes would mess you up like it would on a cigar (where the bushings are 4 diffn't sizes). Maybe if you or someone could clarify a bit on what you did wrong? (or maybe you just needed a good Redfishsc-style rant:bananen_smilies068:) :biggrin:

As far as the snap cap, I've had them last a year, and then **crack**.

On a secondary note, the way this pen is designed causes the plating to be easily scratched. Look carefully inside the center band area, where the nib (or posting cap) attaches. You see the exposed brass tube? It scratches up the posting cap (and to a lesser extent, the nib coupler) over time.

If they could get these two design "flaws" out of the way, I'd make and sell a PILE of this pen. It is very attractive and fun to use.

philthephlier

tubes

Yes they are both 10MM tubes but one is longer than the other by about 1/4-5/16". If you turn the shorter tube as the cap and create the 5/16" tenon on it you will be very unhappy with the result. I know as I did it three times (I'm Irish) before finally getting it. Thanks for the info re the scratching. I wonder if chamfering that end of the tube and lightly polishing it with 400 wet or dry for a few seconds would remedy that.

redfishsc

Oh, now I see what you mean--- I had forgotten about the tenon.

Yes, chamfering the inside of the tube and sanding (though I'd use 600-800 at least) will help I'd guess, but it's yet another step on a kit that I am still not trusting.

fyrcaptn

You should've written this a week ago!

I'm also in the club. Don't wanna know the secret hand shake, but I've got the 'head drop in disgust at myself' down pat.
And of course I destroyed the transmission in the process of trying to 'fix' it.
Now I have the set of punches from HF. Hopefully, with a means of rectifying my mistakes, I won't make as many of them lol
An apple and an orange are both pretty tasty. They aren't interchangeable though. Kinda like long tubes and short tubes.... argh!
Kinda like the pictures on one of my direction papers. In picture A the pen 'points' right. In picture B the pen 'points' left. I swear I'm going to scratch out one picture! Too easy for my wobbly head to scan to the wrong picture for reference.

its_virgil

They are great kits Frank. No more difficult than any other. Just read the instructions and follow them. I've made it a habit to take nothing for granted in making pens and presume I know nothing about making a particular kit and always work from the instructions, even if I've made the same kit numerous times. The rollerball and fountain pen versions of the americana have performed well for me. I've not had problems with the plastic "bung" that clicks the pen and cap together. I have a rhodium CSUSA version of the fountain pen that I've been using for a couple of years and I've had no problems. I just put one of Lou's nibs on it and it is writing even better...with no clogging and it writes every time I take it out.

The twist ball point is a little more sensitive to two things. One is tube length...both the top and bottom barrels. The other sensitivity is the upper (cap) tube must be totally clear of any glue. Also, if the version you purchased has the wood parted off to the tube and the CB pressed onto the tube, you must be sure the CB does not crimp the end of the tube thus reducing the ID of the tube. The transmission must freely slide totally through the upper tube with no restrictions. Glue inside the tube will cause the restriction also. If the transmission does not pass through easily, then the pen will not function properly. The transmission does not work by a friction fit and the cap tube must rotate around the transmission with no binding. The transmission is twisted by engaging with the finial on the end. After pressing on the CB I make sure the transmission with drop through. If not, I tweak the tube with a drill bit (I forgot the size but you can figure that out...I think it is a J or L or somewhere close) to open it up for the transmission to slide through.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
I just received my first Americana kits. Thanks for all the cheery news, guys. :-(

redfishsc

I just received my first Americana kits. Thanks for all the cheery news, guys. :-(

Frank, it's one of the sweetest kits I've ever used as far as fun-to-write-with and overall looks, so don't be all that afraid of using them. They don't all break on the plastic snap, and the snap actually has a nice strong grab to it.

It's just beyond the threshold of "issues" for me. I am probably in the upper crust of overly picky, demanding people, and I'm also not a very high-volume seller compared to some of the big boys here, so I can afford to be really picky.

Be sure to make one for yourself, you will like it--- just be sure to give the snap a good working over time to see how it holds up for you.

philthephlier

There is no transmission in the rollerball model of the Americana. You must be referring to the ballpoint models of Americana Pens. The silver bullet in Rhodium makes a beautiful pen especially with a nice cocobolo blank cut on the diagonal.

redfishsc

There is no transmission in the rollerball model of the Americana. You must be referring to the ballpoint models of Americana Pens. The silver bullet in Rhodium makes a beautiful pen especially with a nice cocobolo blank cut on the diagonal.

That's for sure. One of the prettiest pens I've ever made IMO was the Americana Silver Bullet, a black-ti with CSA's scarlet celluloid.

philthephlier

Americana Silver Bullet Cargtidge pen in Blk titanium

Incidentally for those that like cartridge pens but don't like handling or drilling lead I have been making them with two .375 H & H Magnum cases and an Americana silver bullet kit in black titanium. It turns out that the outside diameter of the mouth of a .375 cartridge case is .398" and the outside diameter of the bullet tip in the pen kit is .390-.392. The fit is perfect when assembled properly with a wood sleeve turned on the lower barrel of the pen kit. I have thought about writing a tutorial on it but there are so many on the general subject already
I am wondering if it would be overkill. If enough of you respond to this maybe I'll move forward,

philthephlier

Americana Silver Bullet Cargtidge pen in Blk titanium photo

I just uploaded a photo of two of the cartridge pens into my album. I'll check in a minute to see if they are there. I don't know how to place the photo here with this thread yet.

its_virgil

I suppose you are talking to me. I know the rollerball has no transmission.

My first paragraph addressed the fountain pen version and the second addressed the twist ballpoint. I gave the info for Frank since he didn't say which version he had just purchased. Maybe he was referring to the FP or RB, but I didn't know.I've been around the block a time or two and questions repeatedly arise about the twist version binding and not twisting properly or the plastic bung which is the heart of the click cap. I just added the info about the ballpoint since the thread was about the americana. Maybe I gave too much info and should have kept quiet about the ballpoint version.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Top Bottom