CSU's new Broker model - a (p)review

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made the Wallstreet. One of them. I didn't like it for the same negatives that Rich has included in his review. While this new version looks nice, the issue with the clip dragging on the wood is a big one with me. I don't think I want to start bending parts to overcome a design flaw. I just won't buy, make and sell it.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Mac In Oak Ridge
<br />I have made the Wallstreet. One of them. I didn't like it for the same negatives that Rich has included in his review. While this new version looks nice, the issue with the clip dragging on the wood is a big one with me. I don't think I want to start bending parts to overcome a design flaw. I just won't buy, make and sell it.
It's not really such a big deal. I have become reasonably proficient at making crushed stone inlays. I've heard from a bunch of people that don't make a ring, they just bend the clip so it's just off the surface. I can tell you the Wallstreets are pretty good sellers for me. They sell for $60-70 at Jim Lambert's pen gallery. I have heard of people breaking clips while bending - I've never broken one yet. But, luckily, there are lots of pen models to choose from these days [:)] But you really have to pick up one of the 'tactile' pens to get a feel for the finish - literally! [8D]

wayneis

The other option is to burn a ring where the clip meets the wood. The Wall Street has been a very good pen si I'll have to give this one a go also.

Wayne

its_virgil

Thanks Rich for the (p)review. I like the wallstreet and it sells good for me also. Maybe the absence of "authentic cross parts" will make this kit a little cheaper than the wallstreet. Not sure the "authentic wall street" parts are any better than our other mfg's parts. Good job on the review and I've stolen your idea of the stone ring a few times. Thanks.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

PenWorks

Thanks for the previews Rich. I think I like the idea of the rubberized "tactical" pieces. Something a little different and I'm sure it looks great with the cumberland.
Not actually seeing the pen yet, the clip design looks so, so, I think the Wall Street is more elegant. I also make and sell the Wall Street, nice looking kit with the right material used. Curious about the Ambassador coupling, is that a new kit as well, or am I missing aomething?
I also think the larger version of the Gent jr. is a good idea, just having more choices. If someone doesn't like the larger version, then get the Baron kits.
Now if I only could order them today......[:D]

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Anthony,
the Ambassador is available from woodchuckers. It's the grand-daddy of the Gentleman, the parentage is very apparent if you look at the details. It's an old kit, I think, but was never marketed here. I'll bring one out to Provo so you can see it :) Unfortunately, it's also very expensive. And one word of warning - don't get tempted to get the silver plated version... unless you replate it. The reason I think it is better than the Gentleman is that the threads pre-align 100% right - the G is decent but not quite as good. For this type of large pen the Gentleman coupling would be my second choice - sizewise they are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom