CSU Stylus assembly failure - help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

HELP.

I've had 2 for 2 failure on the Craft Supplies Artisan Kit when pressing the trim ring around the tip. I am using the press bushing from CSU to do this, and using a wooden screw clamp to slowly press the ring on. I am using both screws to keep the jaws as parallel as possible, and making sure the pen stays perpendicular to the jaws. It appears that the press ring is pinching the "rubber", and tearing it.

For the first one, I sent CSU an email asking for dis-assembly assistance without being destructive, so I could buy a replacement tip. At that time, I didn't know if the tip was shipped defective, if I tore it while assembling, or tore it afterwards during first use, but assumed it was my fault. CSU didn't have any suggestions on non-destructive assembly, and kindly sent me a replacement kit. Kudos to CSU!

I just made my second one, and inspected the tip before assembly - no damage. After using pressing the trim ring on (with the bevelled edge pointing towards the tip end), I noticed that the trim ring was tight to remove, and immediately noticed the damaged rubber tip after removing the trim ring. So, obviously my fault during assembly.

What am I doing wrong with the press bushing and rubber tip during assembly?

longbeard

I use my drill press when pressing the tip on. More controlled pressure and a straight downward press, also i will press the tip on just a tiny bit, pull the press bushing off and check it for fit, then put the press bushing back on and finish pressing it on. ( as you are putting the press bushing on, instead of just pushing it on, kinda screw on the tip )
Have made several with no failures (yet).

RDH79

Hi I am not sure of what you mean by bevel towards the tip end. The rounded end of the trim ring should be towards the bushing ring away from the stylus. I have made about 30 and did have one tear but that was because I didnt have the press bushing straight.

Top Bottom