CSA version of civil war pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

While doing several CW pens in witness wood and PR several southerners ask about something that connected it to the CSA. They wanted nothing to do with a US Minnie. After looking at several shops here in Gettysburg I found a commericial souvineer version of a .58 cal CS Gardner and Enfield bullet. After numerous drillings with 2 different size bits I matched what would fit the PSI kit. Not sure what the souvineer version is made of but was it hard. I had an original CSA $20 note, scanned it, reduced it to fit the tube, and then cast it in PR.(the brown line under the clip is flattened wax thread CA'd to the seam) Finished it like we all do, and fit the CS Gardner to the top. It has the look of a shiny cast bullet with the mold seams, and is not all shiny/smooth like the PSI US Minnie. The Enfield bullet is next. I know the photo is not award winning, but it was something to show Ed at PSI of a southern flare to their kit. Time will tell if it's adopted as another version of the CW pen kit as drilling out the bases is time consuming so as not to mark them up. Had to wrap them in leather, and keep them centered in the drilling vice.

Attachments

• P6130003 1.jpg
    P6130003 1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 329
Top Bottom