CS Americana Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

kent4Him

I have made a few Americana Fountain pens this week. I'm running into a problem with the nib. Using my nib adjuster, I get the nib turned in so the pen connects to the cap correctly, but each pen cap has a little play in it. Has anyone else experienced this as well. Did you find a way to resolve it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Are you using the CSUSA adjuster or your own? I found HUGE diffrence when using their tool to do this. From what it sounds like you just want to tighten it up a little more. Before I used their tool I also found that the "snap" fit was no where as tight as well.

kent4Him

Yes, I am using their nib adjuster. The nibs are actually all the way in. The nib will not turn any more. If I loosen it any, then there is a gap.

I'm slowly moving to the FP market and was using the Americana as a stepping stone before investing in the higher end kits.

gerryr

I think you'll find that all snap caps have a bit of play in them not matter what you do. I find that preferable to metal on metal threads which quickly loosen on their own. I would recommend you switch to the Baron fountain pen. You can get it in chrome for about $4.00 less than the CSUSA Americana, it comes with a pump and it's nearly fool proof.

alamocdc

Chris, I've turned a number of these and have found that if you continue to tweak the insert, it will tighten up. If you go too far, it won't post. When you get it where the cap is just snug (not tight), it will still post, but it doesn't feel as crisp as when it's capped. I hope that makes sense.

vick

I use this kit (in rollerball) quite a bit. Their is a little play but should not be much. If the snap mechanism id tightened all the way and you wish to tighten it a little more just remove a small amount of material from the cone part of the cap. It will give you a little more room. Be careful that the threading on the post does not go down to far and damage your nib. The threaded post can also be shortened on a grinding wheel.
For future reference I usually cut my tendon a little shorter than the direction say to get a little extra room to adjust.

Planecrazy29

I too have made a number of these in both fountain and rollerball. I like this kit very much. I would just add that you need to make sure you didn't over-trim the cap blank and make it too short. I adjust the cap until it doesn't snap when I put it on, then back off slightly. Very little play this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom