Crushed turquoise for inlay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Erik831

Hi, Where can I find crushed turquoise? I've tried eBay, Amazon and no luck so far. Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Erik831

When you sand the "man made" stone does it loose its color? I'm looking for natural stone if it's not too expensive

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I buy my turquoise from Magpie Gemstones and crush them myself.
I use a piece of 3/4" pipe about 5" long and cap one end with a pipe cap. I then use a steel rod that just fits inside the pipe, place the capped end on an anvil and strike the rod with a small 3# hammer to crush the turquoise. This method will not yield uniform sizes and I usually have to repeat crushing several time until I get the size I want. You will also end up with very small pieces and even powdered turquoise, but the powder helps fill in around the crushed pieces.
I personally find the mix of sizes with the powder looks better than a uniform size.

Last edited:

stonepecker

I crush my own also. I got the last batch from a local hobby store.
I went and got the cheapest set of natural beads and made my own powder. I keep the extra in a empty med bottle on the tool bench shelf.

I also do the same with other natural stone. One thing, I wait till they are on sale and get a bunch. They usually come or strings and hang up nicely till I need them.

jason_r

Natural expressions in gilbert, AZ

They carry turquoise and a bunch of other stones, natural and synthetic. Available as whole stone and in ?5? grades of crushed down to a fine powder.

Address: 13802 E Williams Field Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85295
Phone:(480) 963-6552

Call them- they'll ship. And they've got great service. If you've got something you want to match they recommend sending them a sample since stone varies so much.

farmer

Lathe

Hi, Where can I find crushed turquoise? I've tried eBay, Amazon and no luck so far. Thanks in advance.

What lathe do you have ?

If you are using a engine lathe stabilized turquoise machines up really nice.

The crushed up stuff looks ok but it doesn't compare to machined turquoise inlays.

Erik831

What lathe do you have ? If you are using a engine lathe stabilized turquoise machines up really nice. The crushed up stuff looks ok but it doesn't compare to machined turquoise inlays.

I don't have a lathe for the moment, i want the turquoise for a ring I want to make.

Erik831

Natural expressions in gilbert, AZ They carry turquoise and a bunch of other stones, natural and synthetic. Available as whole stone and in ?5? grades of crushed down to a fine powder. Address: 13802 E Williams Field Rd, Gilbert, AZ 85295 Phone:(480) 963-6552 Call them- they'll ship. And they've got great service. If you've got something you want to match they recommend sending them a sample since stone varies so much.

Do they have a website?

Top Bottom