Crushed filler in rainbow colors??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

suefox51

Looking to get crushed filler in the colors of the rainbow to make some pens. Does anyone know of any vendor that carries the colors:
Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.

As always, any and all assistance is greatly appreciated:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I'll try to answer based on the little information you provided, but if you tell us a little more about your application (type of material you are looking for and how you plan to use it) you might get better answers.

If you just want color, you can find artist pigments (dry powders) in local art stores or someplace like Douglass & Sturgess online. They should have every color under the rainbow. Or you might be able to use acrylic paint as your filler and save a few steps.

If you were going for more of a stone look, you can buy stones in a lot of different colors and crush them up yourself. Fire Mountain has a wide selection (you would want only natural untreated stones to insure the color isn't just surface).

You could buy mica powders and oxides and use those in a clear binder to fill. Pearl-ex comes in a lot of different colors. Cosmetic suppliers that offer DIY ingredients will often have a better price, but maybe not as wide a variety of colors.

You can use chalk dust.

You can use powder coating paint.

Lots of choices out there. What might or might not work will really depend on what you are trying to do.

Ed

suefox51

I'm going to "etch" grooves in the wood blank, and want to then fill those etched lines with the rainbow colors. The grooves are very narrow, about the width of a normal lead pencil point.
What would be my best choice?

The Penguin

if it's going to be very small grooves and you're really after the color (and don't need the "stone" texture) consider using embossing powder from your local craft shop (Michael's, etc)

cut ONE groove, fill, set with CA glue. repeat as needed.

plantman

Sue; JoAnn's Fabric carrys a product called Stampendous Color Fragments that may work for you. May only be available on line. Not sure of the number of colors however. For what you want to do, I would suggest Pearlex collored powers with a CA sealer. There are a wide variety of collors. You could also purchase crushed or powered stone, but colors are limited. Jim S

Last edited:

Ed McDonnell

For tiny little grooves, I think I would just fill them with acrylic paint and put a clear coat over the whole thing. But that's just me. There is no single best answer. There are a lof of different ways to do this. You really have to try it to see what you do and don't like.

Whatever you do, if you have open grain wood you need to fill the grain before trying to do your grooves or you will have color specs all over the place.

A small bottle of acrylic craft paint is only a buck or two. A small container of embossing powder won't cost a lot. Make a test blank and see which you like best or whether either gives you the look you want.

Good luck.

Ed

gbpens

Instead of any powder or paint you might consider thin sheets of colored opaque acrylic at places like Menards. It would be a simple stacked segment with the colors between the wood. No chance of getting any bleeding on the wood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom