Cross vs Cross style refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vakmere

The key word here is style. Generic vs brand name.

Maybe I'm new at this but has anyone here found a detectable difference while writing with the 'Cross style' refills that come with your kits as opposed to a 'Cross refill' you would buy online from the Cross site? I dont care for the skinny fine points in the slimline, trimline, and others that are supplied. I use Cross medium and broad, black or blue ink.
What is the point of going thru all the time and effort crafting a pen if it doesn't write nicely because of inferior ink. Thats the whole point......
It's like a beautiful car with a bad ride.
Of late I discard the kit ink into the trash in favor of an authentic Cross refill (authentic being debatable). Costs a few bucks to do this however I do find a detectable difference in flow. THAT brings me to another question. Are the Cross factory refills the same as the kit refills only difference being the name Cross stamped on the barrell?
Same question for the 'Parker style' vs Parker refills.
Thank you for sharing any experience you may have.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

There are many Cross compatible refills and Parker compatible refills that will write nicely.

For Cross compatible, Private Reserve is a popular one among turners and typically avaialble as an upgrade option when you purchase your kit from most of our vendors. Locally I've found that the Monteverde refills are a nice writing refill as well.

For Parker style, I'm partial to the Schmidt Easyflow refills but again there are many that will write better than the kit refill and can typically be purchased at the same time as your kit purchase from our online vendors.

Donovan

I have just ordered a few different Cross style refills to do a test and also like the Monteverde refills the best. For the Parker I prefer the Parker gel refill from Parker. I replace all the Parker refills with a gel refill and have never had a complaint

Donovan

sbell111

I was upgrading all my parkers until I found 1) that most people can't tell teh difference and 2) that many actually like the originals. Now I keep the originals and offer people a free upgrade. I think that this has actually improved sales as people think that they are getting something additional for nothing.

Top Bottom