days and they need to be replaced. I know that they are not the best
quality but should last more then a week. To bad we can not do a group
buy on some quality cross style refills. By the way the pen kits come
from several dealers not just one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

Originally posted by joeatact
<br /> To bad we can not do a group
buy on some quality cross style refills.

http://www.woodchipshome.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=WC&Category_Code=SCHM

mrcook4570

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Stan,

Schmidt refills are for rollerball kits. Joe was speaking of the Cross style refills for 7mm slims, Olympias and the like.

They also make cross, style, parker style, several different rollerball styles, and converters for fountain pens.

alamocdc

Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Stan,

Schmidt refills are for rollerball kits. Joe was speaking of the Cross style refills for 7mm slims, Olympias and the like.

They also make cross, style, parker style, several different rollerball styles, and converters for fountain pens.

Sorry, Cav, but Stan is correct. I bought a few hundred Schmidt made Cross refills from Charles when he did the group buy. I believe he still has them listed on the site referenced above. And none of my customers have complained about the refills at all. I like them much better than any Cross refill I've used.

Rudy Vey

Well, this topic comes up several times every year. My personal opinion and experience is that the refills coming with the kits are quite good. I had customers coming back to buy the "original" refill from me since the brandname ones, both Cross and Parker, did not write as smoothly as the cheapo, no-name refill that comes with the kit. I speak here only about my experience with Berea kits, don't know the quality of CSUSA's and PSI's refills.

But I must say that the refill buys from Charles are great deals, and I like the Schmidt rollerball refills very much, have no experience with ball points refills from Schmidt, though.

arioux

Hi,

I had the same comment about most of my slimlines pen (Berea and PSI). they liked the original refill more than the replacement they bought at Staples (Cross original)

bonefish

I agree with Joe.

When I complete a pen, I replace the Cross type with a genuine Cross. For Ballpoints, I use the genuine Parker Gel.

For rollerballs, I use the cheapest available which are Pilot G2. Not only are they cheap, they are the best I have found.

Once, I paid over ten dollars for two genuine Mont Blanc refills. I wanted to offer my customers what I thought was the best available. I kept one and used it. It lasted about a month.

At the time, I hadn'd sold the pen with the other Mont Blanc in it, so I put it in my pen.

I got another month's use out of it. I have also used the Schmidt and Hauser, but, and this is my opinion only, none of them are as good as the Pilot G2. By good, I mean smooth writing and how long they last. The Pilot is the winner in both events.

I think, but cannot prove, that the other roller ball inserts dry up, even when capped, instead of running out of ink.

I have several that came with the kits. They have been lying around two or three years, but have never been used. I tried some of them, and none of them will write.

I think Cross makes a rollerball refill, but I haven't tried it.

I repeat, this is my opinion only, and the results I have had with different refills. Others might have experienced different results.

The one that I think writes the smoothest of all, including rollerballs, is the Parker Gel.

Bonefish

txbob

Bonefish,
I also like the Pilot G2, much better than the Schmidt. But, my favorite is the Pilot Precise Gel. Same size refill as the G2, but with a needle point and a 0.7mm ball. Very smooth writing pen.

The finest point rollerball I've found is the Uniball Signo RT Gel with a 0.38mm point. It's so fine it tends to scratch on some papers.

YMMV,
txbob &lt;-- still learnin' turnin'

Originally posted by bonefish
<br />For rollerballs, I use the cheapest available which are Pilot G2. Not only are they cheap, they are the best I have found.

The one that I think writes the smoothest of all, including rollerballs, is the Parker Gel.

Bonefish

alamocdc

BTW, the G2 Gel just fits in the rolloers we turn and I have one in a Baron. I write with it everyday and love it. But I have to say that my experience is the same as Rudy's. I used to write with a Cross that my dad bought me when I graduated from college and I was never happy with the refills. My wife had the same experience with her Cross pen. But she's been using one that I made for her about 18 months ago and loves the way the PSI refill it came with writes. My customers prefer the Schimdt made Cross refills even better. I haven't written with one yet, but that's what they tell me... and why they keep buying them from me.

redfishsc

Thanks all for the discussion, it's very interesting reading.

I'm personally NOT AT ALL happy with the refills included with the kits I get from PSI and Woodcraft (my local store sells Berea stuff mostly). They skip a lot, not run out.

Anyhow, I'll be checking into the refills above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom