Cross Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dancrafted

Hi all,

Thanks for all the wonderful coments on my cross pen. Several people asked how I make it? Thow my writing skills are weak at best, here it is:

1) First cut top and bottom barrels to size. I used emerald steel wood.

2) Cut inlay matieral to the lenght of the upper barrel. I used bethleham olive wood. (Some off size pieces they had on sale a while back).

3) The next part was a little hairy for me. ( Since I cut off half my left thumb 7 months ago). I cut the first recess length wise down the center of the upper barrel blank. I did this with a cross cut sled on my table saw. I set the depth to about 1/3 the depth of the bank.

4) Then took the inlay blank to the band saw and cut it into 1/8 in strips lenth wise. Needs to be the thickness of your table saw blade.

5) If all is right these should fit right into the recess you cut earler. I glued it in with thick super glue. Cut and sand untill flush with blank.

6) Back to the table saw. Set blade to just under 1/2 the tickness of the blank. Measure about 1/3 down on blank and cross cut.

7) Insert cross portion and glue, cut and sand to flush.

8) Drill blank making sure that hole centered to length wise inlay. This is critical to making sure cross piece will be even when turning the barrel.

9) Turn, sand and finish .

A couple of quicke notes. Make sure that barrel wood density is harder or equel to that of the inlay material (Can make drill walk and turning more difficult).

Well for what its worth. I hope someone finds this usefull.

Thank for all the kind words on my pen.

Image Insert:
200532721548_empen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom