cross cut wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

Is there any trick to turning cross cut wood. I had 1 blank from woodturningz of Bocote that had unbelievable grain (cross cut) but it blew up on the lathe turning it round with a woodchuck. Maybe I was to agressive, I don't think so. Was I just unlucky or is there a technique I'm not aware of?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Cross cut wood is end grain both sides the full length. Must be shear cut carefully as it will blow up easity --- If it blew up, you were too too agressive.

Skew, or detail gouge will shear cut across the endgrain better than a carbide scraping tool (and yup I have a pen pro as well as others.

Bacote is not an especially tight grained wood -- and that makes the endgrain tears almost for sure without shearing across the fibers.

PenPal

Morninghere,

The French have a tool called a Bedan which is simply made from tool steel in various shapes and sizes, take one variation I use for breaking down or simply the first cuts to round, it is square 3/8 inch tool steel ground one face 45 degrees. Step cut slowly no excessive pushing in then even the whole using the same tool then normal chisels.

Another real handy similar tool is round tool steel ground 45 degrees from opposite sides I use both handled tools for reducing cast material initially as well with outstanding results.

Before any one comments think deeply about this tools use in France it is used for coves and so many other uses. a complete demo few times here in Australia by a world expert in offset turning Jean Paul ? some years ago demistified so many demons for me. I know the cult following that develops or wanes using any tool, do we not all have lots of impulse bought tools on our shelves.

A friend who died of advanced cancer in the last few years used simply a large Skew Chisel for everything up to one foot square timber up to fourteen feet long verandah posts, he was a Journeyman trained as a Woodturner who qualified in that trade in Western Australia. His cancer was unrelated to woodworking.

Almost all the timber I use for pens that is cut by me is turned right angle cross cut and no I dont have failures in turning them and at 76 yrs of age have seen trends come and go for twenty five yrs. We here in Canberra have been blessed with visiting experts from all over the world, one such has lived in Canberra for years now Richard Raffan one of the greats IMHO who incidentally said to me he will pass away never having made a Pen. Have a look at the intricate shapes and grain of his work from the ultra thin Fiddlesticks to huge bowls etc.

Caution in giving and receiving advice it only succeeds following real experiences and investigation. I trust you will get fulfilment your best way as well.

Have a look at Ratties demo of Cue Jointing not for the fainthearted, if you dont follow such techniques work up to them and trust you have success.

Kind regards Peter.

Wildman

This is a good read: "The Wood," buy or saw.
http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pen21.html

Cutting wood blank on diagonal exposes grain and figure in wood without losing strength.
When you turn skinny cross cut blank wood loses some strength. Russ explains it better.

I ran into same problem making bells and flowers (small blocks of wood) with end grain parallel to ways. Had some pieces snap on me.

Lee K

I always like reading your posts Peter! I have started reading Richard Raffans books on bowls, and not only is his work outstanding, but he manages to convey his message well to those of us just finding our way! If you ever see him, tell him thanks !!!!

Regarding the Bedan .... I have used a parting tool with a similar technique on cross cut woods (hit and miss due to my skill level) and I have never used a Bedan ... is the Bedan 'similar' to a small parting tool in the way it cuts?

PenPal

Lee,

Have a gaze on U Tube Jean Paul Escalon demos his Bedan in Japan at Stus place he uses it upside down and also the other way up. Jean is 2nd generation Woodturner, his wife is a Furniture Maker of some note.

Scott your E Mail addy comes back as unknown please resend to me.

Kind regards Peter.

PS had a good yarn to Richard Raffan at our monthly Guild meeting tonight just got home nearly 11 pm. Subject tonight photographing larger furniture etc.

robutacion

I always like reading your posts Peter! I have started reading Richard Raffans books on bowls, and not only is his work outstanding, but he manages to convey his message well to those of us just finding our way! If you ever see him, tell him thanks !!!!

Regarding the Bedan .... I have used a parting tool with a similar technique on cross cut woods (hit and miss due to my skill level) and I have never used a Bedan ... is the Bedan 'similar' to a small parting tool in the way it cuts?

I was introduced to the Bedan by Jean Paul Escalon at the time I was doing hundreds of wooden eggs, an item that the Bedan exceeds most other tools so I made 2, one 12 and a 16mm. The angles are not exact and testes have proven that about 60°, the tool performs a lot better, but you will see that the angles on my Bedans are different, that have to do with the shaft size also.

Anyway, pretty much like the skew, some love it some hate it, there is not much in between, really but, I like to use it/them when I'm doing something that calls for Bedan, if you know what I mean...!:biggrin:

I've attached a couple of pics of my Bedans so that you can have a close look...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• Making of my Bedan 002_(1).jpg
    Making of my Bedan 002_(1).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Making of my Bedan 003_(1).jpg
    Making of my Bedan 003_(1).jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 234
  • New tools and handles made 22-15-08 008_(1).jpg
    New tools and handles made 22-15-08 008_(1).jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 279
  • New tools and handles made 22-15-08 009_(1).jpg
    New tools and handles made 22-15-08 009_(1).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 270

KenV

Thanks for pointing out the Bedan -- not a common tool in the US but useful. Cindy Drozda uses it for one. Heavy shafted skew is one description, and square parting tool is another.

George -- I cannot tell if you have relieved the side to make a trapazoid (bottom is more narrow than the top) or not.

I can see where that would be a good tool choice for eggs. I was making darning eggs for the fiber person recently and while I made less than a dozen to get the shape she wanted (she did not want a classic egg shape on the large ends -- more flat for darning) I am not at all ready to make hundreds!!!!

JerrySambrook

The bedan does have some side relief angle though, and are not square or rectangular: kinda like a triangle with one point lopped off. (I tried to "write" one in, but it did not work)
They are great beading tools, great parting tools, except typically a little wide,
superb tennoning tools, and as Peter pointed out, excellent for egg work.

Last edited:

Wildman

Packard M2 3/8'' Bedan Tool
http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...oduct_Code=106520&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-pt

I do not know if my Sorby Bedan tool is English or French did not pay $55 for it. Bought many years ago on sale, did not pay $49.95 Packard sell it for today. Packard's Bedan tool made by Hamlet tools has same address as Taylor tools in England. I say shop around for best price.

Most people here use a Bedan tool as a sizing tool paring down wood to fit you scroll chuck or big parting tool. A Bedan tool can do much more if you take some time to learn how.

Top Bottom