Cross cut paduk,,,,,is this possible?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I threw a cross cut paduk blank on today and am very frustrated. Blow outs! Tools are super sharp and the rest of the blank cuts well but the ends of two tubes have had large blowouts. Is this wood even possible cross cut? So far it looks really neat but I don't know if it is worth the hassle.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
G

First thing I'd check is to see if there is gkue on the tube under the blow out.
The lack of it is a good cause of blow outs..
That being said and little thin ca while turning to"stabilize" it helps.
Just as you would do a corn cob,if necessary

woodscavenger

Eaglesc you are on the money as usual. I looks and I think it may be lack of glue. They are CA blanks. I may try gorilla glue for the next one. I still think it looks great.

jweeks

If I understand you, you've got a blank mounted in the tube in the same orientation you would use for a bowl. I'm sure your realize this, but just for the sake of making sure we're all on the same page, you can't turn it the way you would a standard spindle mounted blank - with the tool mostly at right angles to the blank. You need to have the gouge at an acute angle, moving it forward, as if shaping the outside of a bowl. That will avoid cross-grain catches.

G

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Eaglesc you are on the money as usual. I looks and I think it may be lack of glue. They are CA blanks. I may try gorilla glue for the next one. I still think it looks great.
There's nothing wrong with CA .
There is a problem with not enough CA or the wrong viscosity.
Paduk in a pretty open grained wood.
I am starting to use thick CA on more of my pens.
THe set up time is a little longer but a lot shorter than Gorilla Glue.
Try using any method you wish to plug the end of the tube you insert first into the blank.
Put a little glue on the inside edge of the tube.
Instead of the glue building up on the end you are inserting from the plugged tube will act as a plunger to push the glue into the tube.
Put glue on the tube also.
Twist as you insert the tube and it will spread around.
I won't say I don't get blow outs, but they are rare.
The first thing I look for when I do get them is how much glue is on the offending area of the tube.
Rarely have I had a blow out where there was glue residue under the missing section.
I turn a lot of antler and the inside of the antler is porous most of the time.The method I described works well.
I have never used anything but CA for the pens I turn.
I don't do "production runs.
Each pen is more or less designed on the spot.
I will spend a lot of time thinking about dong different things or trying to figure out how to solve a problem, but gluing up blanks a day in advance?
That kind of spoils the fact that except for some finishes pen making for me is rather spontaneous.
Use what ever glue you want but I wouldn't give up on CA because of this experience.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Eaglesc you are on the money as usual. I looks and I think it may be lack of glue. They are CA blanks. I may try gorilla glue for the next one. I still think it looks great.

While there is nothing wrong with CA, I did have problems when I made some pens from spalted beech. I was losing 40% of my blanks to blowouts and I found that the punky parts of the wood would wick the CA. I switched to Poly glue and the blowouts disappeared. I lucked into a store blowing out 16 oz bottles of poly glue for $3.99. For me that's a lot cheaper than CA and I drill and set up the blanks ahead of time. I use poly all the time now.

Gregory Huey

I dont use CA for glue up. I use epoxy and when I glue my brass in I take a bambo scewer and swab a little glue around each end of the hole in the blank. This is working for me as I can't remember the last blow out I had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom