Crooked Majestic Crystal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pianomanpj

I just got some Majestics today, and one of them has the crystal glued in crooked. I would definitely like to get it straightened out. True, I could call PSI and have them send a replacement, but I'd rather just fix it if I could.

I know there are some folks here that un-pimp the Majestic, so there must be a repeatable method to remove the crystal. If I DO remove it to reseat it, what would be the best adhesive? Epoxy? Will I need to remove the old adhesive first? If so, how and with what?

And while I'm at it, I noticed the gold insert in the top of the cap is off-center. Do I just knock this out with a punch and reglue? I certainly don't mind working on this cap, but would love any input and experiences that the masses may have.

And, no; I don't have a camera or else I would have posted some pics. Thanks, all!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

I don't have the answers you are asking, however I would BEFORE you do attempt to fix it, is contact PSI and have them send a replacement anyway just in case you make a boo-boo.

pianomanpj

I will call them next week, but I was just looking for some info on how I could save this cap. And if I can't, how I would go about taking it apart and making some mods. :)

I don't have the answers you are asking, however I would BEFORE you do attempt to fix it, is contact PSI and have them send a replacement anyway just in case you make a boo-boo.

Roger, get in touch with brooks803 here on the forum. He modifies Majestics and takes that crystal out so he might give you some guidance.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
IF you have a soldering gun or iron heat the tip of the clip under the crystal until it destroys the glue. the crystal should come right out.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
What kind of plating is on the clip, it doenst take much heat to break down the glue. I clamped the one I did in a vise lighty and as i heated the clip end, I put pressure on one side of the stone with tweezers. I had a chrome or rhodium plated clip and it didnt bother it. If you are using an electric soldering gun you can touch it only to the very bottom under the stone.

Phunky_2003

I've taken one out with soldering gun and dental pick.

I'd talk to psi first though, most of the time they just send a replacement. However with my luck I'd start trying to repair or modify and then they'd want it back lol.

I have a full size majestic with the cap problem, but I planned on modifying it anyway. The last few I've got have been slightly off center.

randyrls

I just got some Majestics today, and one of them has the crystal glued in crooked. I would definitely like to get it straightened out.

This sounds like a perfect time to try a modified pen!

Use a scrap of the blank material and make a small button about the same size as the crystal, and replace the crystal. This works well with acrylics!

pianomanpj

I will be offering to send it back, but it has always been my experience that they will refuse. I would think they would like to see for themselves what the issue is, and have a better handle on quality control with the manufacturer. Oh, well. :)

I've taken one out with soldering gun and dental pick.

I'd talk to psi first though, most of the time they just send a replacement. However with my luck I'd start trying to repair or modify and then they'd want it back lol.

I have a full size majestic with the cap problem, but I planned on modifying it anyway. The last few I've got have been slightly off center.

Top Bottom