crome plated slim lines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Ryan

Has any body tried the black crome, and crome plated slim lines from woodturningz? I have been thinking about getting some. I like the idea to use something else beside gold plated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

I have used the kits from woodturningz, they are very good. I recently bought black chrome and gun metal kits from him. The gun metal kits look great! Matches my black titanium watch.

One thing: the plating in chrome kits last a LOT longer than the gold plating. Lou did some testing.

Unfortunately it is too cold in the garage to do any work for now. I will post pics of my pens when I get some finished.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Gary--I can't swear it, but the black chrome kits I've gotten from Arizona Silhouette appear to be powder coating. To quote Don Ward (who was quoting someone else) "That stuff is harder than woodpecker lips".

Gary

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Gary--I can't swear it, but the black chrome kits I've gotten from Arizona Silhouette appear to be powder coating. To quote Don Ward (who was quoting someone else) "That stuff is harder than woodpecker lips".

Thanks Lou, then wear shouldn't be a problem.

Fred in NC

There are two kinds of black kits...

The powder coated ones, which have a dull finish, and have a clip with a ball at the end.

The black chrome, which of course are shiny. The clip is straight in this one. No ball at the end.

I recently received some slimline black chrome kits from Woodturningz. I am not sure what the finish is. Could be either.

I also received some gun metal plating slimlines. They are nice!

its_virgil

There is another...the black enamel from PSI which woodturningz sells...
black enamel = paint and will wear and scratch. I much more like the blace chrome, black titanium and the gunmetal. Don't know if any of these are powdercoated. I would think not; plating is much less labor intensive than powdercoating. But, I really do not know.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Fred in NC

Don, if you read my previous post, I have been using one of the black pens from Woodturningz continuously for almost 2 yrs, and it looks just like new. There is a pic in my album, it is the walnut with blackwood band. I took the pic after 1-1/2 yrs of using the pen daily. It must be powder coated, because the finish is real tough.

its_virgil

Thanks, that's good to know because I assumed that black enamel was just black paint. Maybe I'll get some and try them out. I have not ordered any because I did not think the black enamel would last. I have some satin pearl and satin ??? that look terrible after using them daily for a few months. I do not buy them anymore. Thanks for setting me straight....I need that from time to time.
do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Don, if you read my previous post, I have been using one of the black pens from Woodturningz continuously for almost 2 yrs, and it looks just like new. There is a pic in my album, it is the walnut with blackwood band. I took the pic after 1-1/2 yrs of using the pen daily. It must be powder coated, because the finish is real tough.

jrc

I like the chrome slimline kits from berea with the double beaded center bands. I never use straight flat center bands. I think my last order was for 200 and they were $1.40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom