Cricut for Decals?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chitreano

I would like to personalize pen blanks with names, logos, etc. There are three of four possibilities that I have come across. Laser is an option but is costly. Decals, which offer several routes and I am exploring this at present. Hand engraving which in my case looks shoddy and unprofessional. If there are other possibilities out there I would love to hear about them.

I have read several tutorials on other forums and have not come across the silver bullet as of yet. Has anyone attempted to make foil decals with a CRICUT machine? If so, what was the outcome?

How to's and links to other tutorials are always appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Stan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mikeyt

I have done some foil decal with the Cricut I placed it on a handle for a backscratcher. Then used ca glue to seal it. It turned out really nice was the blue foil and maybe 10 coats of ca glue. I don't have pictures it was for my niece I put her name and "the no itchy stick" on a Purple Heart handle. I applied the ca glue like I would with water slide decals and had no issues. I also tried it on a pen with gold foil and olive wood but it did not look right not enough contrast. But the image and sealing it with ca glue was great. The things you can do with the Cricut machine is endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Mikeyt

Also there is a feature on the Cricut maker called print and cut. I took water slide decals and printed a salmon fish on my printer then put in the Cricut maker and it cut out the salmon exactly. I put it on curly maple and it looked like it was painted on the wood. I Sent it to my sister in Alaska. She thought I somehow printed it on the wood it turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mgatten

Water decals! That's perfect! I've been thinking about how to do this lately too, but water decals would never have occurred to me. Thank you!

Burb

I've tried water decals several times with no luck. Anyone care to guide me through a process which they've had good success? TIA

JohnU

Water slide decals are ok but only on light colored wood like maple. You can buy Testors Waterslide decal kits or sheets and print on them with your printer. Then you let them dry a day and seal them with a clear coat spray, let it dry a day and then cut them out close to the image and water slide apply them to your pen body after you have applied and finished your ca finish. After you let the applied decal dry a day, apply a medium CA finish over it and finish it again. Good luck!

JohnU

If your going to put them on darker wood or material make sure you use the "white transfer paper" and not the "clear transparent paper". You will have to cut on the printer edge so you don't see the white background, or get a paper punch and cut it with an even background. I usually use the transparent on light woods or white acrylics. Good luck

Top Bottom