Cricut for Decals? - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2018, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Cricut for Decals?

I would like to personalize pen blanks with names, logos, etc. There are three of four possibilities that I have come across. Laser is an option but is costly. Decals, which offer several routes and I am exploring this at present. Hand engraving which in my case looks shoddy and unprofessional. If there are other possibilities out there I would love to hear about them.

I have read several tutorials on other forums and have not come across the silver bullet as of yet. Has anyone attempted to make foil decals with a CRICUT machine? If so, what was the outcome?

How to's and links to other tutorials are always appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Stan
Chitreano is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Following.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have done some foil decal with the Cricut I placed it on a handle for a backscratcher. Then used ca glue to seal it. It turned out really nice was the blue foil and maybe 10 coats of ca glue. I don’t have pictures it was for my niece I put her name and “the no itchy stick” on a Purple Heart handle. I applied the ca glue like I would with water slide decals and had no issues. I also tried it on a pen with gold foil and olive wood but it did not look right not enough contrast. But the image and sealing it with ca glue was great. The things you can do with the Cricut machine is endless.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Mikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2018, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Also there is a feature on the Cricut maker called print and cut. I took water slide decals and printed a salmon fish on my printer then put in the Cricut maker and it cut out the salmon exactly. I put it on curly maple and it looked like it was painted on the wood. I Sent it to my sister in Alaska. She thought I somehow printed it on the wood it turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Mikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 06-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 16

Water decals! That's perfect! I've been thinking about how to do this lately too, but water decals would never have occurred to me. Thank you!
mgatten is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've tried water decals several times with no luck. Anyone care to guide me through a process which they've had good success? TIA

www.MWWoodworx.com
www.facebook.com/MWWoodworx
Burb is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 2

Water slide decals are ok but only on light colored wood like maple. You can buy Testors Waterslide decal kits or sheets and print on them with your printer. Then you let them dry a day and seal them with a clear coat spray, let it dry a day and then cut them out close to the image and water slide apply them to your pen body after you have applied and finished your ca finish. After you let the applied decal dry a day, apply a medium CA finish over it and finish it again. Good luck!
JohnU is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads