Creative Dimensions Aloha

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteRev

I was lucky to be selected to test one of the new creative dimension blanks. I agreed that I would complete this task by casting the blank in resin.

I debated what to do about colors. With pineapples and flowers, this could have called for a bright use of color. I tend to the more subtle pallets so prepared this one to look like an aloha shirt that I have - simple white accents. I hit the high spots with white acrylic paint while turning at a high speed. A light touch and the pattern was well highlighted.

At this point I must have done something to offend the casting gods.

I popped it in my resin-saver mold. Reaching for my alumilite, I learned that shelf life really does matter - I guess I hadn't used it in a while. One of the cans had solidified. (At least it was only a partial can).

I turned to the can of PR and successfully poured the blank. After it was fully cured, I started turning. Looking good. Just a little way to go. But the gods were not yet pleased. A small catch and I had a problem. The resin lifted from part of the blank. This I've never seen before.

Not wanting to give up, I carefully peeled back the resin. The black was unharmed underneath. There was still hope. A little cleaning, back in the pot and back to the lathe. It was worth the effort:

My impressions? These are very detailed, well executed blanks. They have considerable room for embellishment and customization. They are very eye catching. I don't know what happened with the first cast, though I assume I did something wrong. Once cast, it was a breeze to finish. I'll probably lean toward a CA finish when I do another. These are fun and in no way as difficult as they might appear.

I just wish my photography did justice to this pen!

Steve

Attachments

• Aloha.jpg
    Aloha.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 246
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

That's beautiful. I appreciate the restraint in you color palate. You did a great job with this blank.

bitshird

Beautiful Pen, also a nice report, and your photography is not that bad either, thanks for sharing both the pictures and your impression of the blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
It might have been easier and had an equally appealing end product, to paint, etc the blank, then cast in clear and turn down to the size of a sierra vista.

Seems like turning it down to the wood is REALLY precise. If your lathe is even a LITTLE oor, well, let's say OOOOOPPPPPpspppspsppsp.

NICE Finished product!! GREAT recovery(ies)

ROOKIETURNER

I can't wait to get my hands on one or more of these 3D blanks. I have always loved detail, and these blanks are full of possibilties. Nice looking pen!

Top Bottom