Creating Slip Fit for Components

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I have several cast blanks, and some wood blanks, where I really need to create a slip fit for the components to slide into the tubes so the blanks doesn't crack. What suggestions can you offer to create the slip fit?

I've tried filing the blank but I don't get the slip fit deep enough into the end of the blank. Thought about a Dremel or such but not sure what may be best.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

How about sandpaper on a dowel? I done this a few times and it doesn't take very long.

Depending on the component, you might gain enough slip room by sanding off the plating on the parts of the component that press into the tube. Just don't foul the visible finish.

Do you attempt to create the slip fit in the bare tube before you glue it in the blank? That will give you more chances to insert and remove to check slip fit without worrying about wrecking the blank.

Last thought, [giant :wink: ] put your bushings in the tube, mount it to the lathe, turn it on, then "force" a simulated catch for 10 seconds or so, so that the bushings spin in the tube. This creates a slip fit EVERY TIME. Wears out the bushings a little. . . .but you have the slip fit. [giant :wink:]

thewishman

I tape some abranet to the end of a transfer punch and mount it in my drill chuck. I also mounted a Sierra top piece in a wooden block (for circuitboards and watch parts pens) and test the fit frequently. I'll post a picture when I get to the shop.

leehljp

Member Liaison
In the Library, on the second line is "Reference" and under that are several charts on drill bit sizes. I have that printed out and on the wall in my shop. I also have two of the 115 piece drill bits from HF. I use the chart as a reference and find the bit that increases the hole by .002 or .005 over the "recommended" bit. This works fine. I don't always need it but sometimes I do.

Flexibility in application does wonders. I have on occasion used SP or abranet on a dowel as others have mentioned. There are times where I want more space (fragile wood blanks) and times when close fit is not a problem such as wood with low movement with during humidity and temp changes.

Last edited:

magpens

I have bought a set of adjustable straight-sided reamers which I have found extremely useful. Here is a picture taken from the Grizzly website:

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(adjustable+AND+reamer)+OR+(adjustable+OR+reamer)

h5942-172c986a7e3701f9460d394cc9f06e87.jpg

Last edited:

flyitfast

Rick, I have a chamfering/deburring gizmo I got a HF (they don't carry them anymore). I think they are a plumbers tool. I got a couple extra before they ran out. I use it just for the same purpose you are describing. Works great.
Gordon

I have several cast blanks, and some wood blanks, where I really need to create a slip fit for the components to slide into the tubes so the blanks doesn't crack. What suggestions can you offer to create the slip fit?

I've tried filing the blank but I don't get the slip fit deep enough into the end of the blank. Thought about a Dremel or such but not sure what may be best.

mecompco

I wrap 220 or 320 around a transfer punch of the correct size and chuck it in my hand drill. Run that inside the tube and you can adjust the fit to as loose as you like.

SteveG

Rick, I have a chamfering/deburring gizmo I got a HF (they don't carry them anymore). I think they are a plumbers tool. I got a couple extra before they ran out. I use it just for the same purpose you are describing. Works great.
Gordon

The plumber's tool you refer to can be found at Home Depot, in the plumbing dept. (plumbing dept...imagine that :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom