Creating Slip Fit for Components - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2017, 06:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Creating Slip Fit for Components

I have several cast blanks, and some wood blanks, where I really need to create a slip fit for the components to slide into the tubes so the blanks doesn't crack. What suggestions can you offer to create the slip fit?

I've tried filing the blank but I don't get the slip fit deep enough into the end of the blank. Thought about a Dremel or such but not sure what may be best.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I use a chamfer and deburring tool from my reloading tools. Very clean way of adding a slight chamfer
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 3

How about sandpaper on a dowel? I done this a few times and it doesn't take very long.

Depending on the component, you might gain enough slip room by sanding off the plating on the parts of the component that press into the tube. Just don't foul the visible finish.

Do you attempt to create the slip fit in the bare tube before you glue it in the blank? That will give you more chances to insert and remove to check slip fit without worrying about wrecking the blank.

Last thought, [giant ] put your bushings in the tube, mount it to the lathe, turn it on, then "force" a simulated catch for 10 seconds or so, so that the bushings spin in the tube. This creates a slip fit EVERY TIME. Wears out the bushings a little. . . .but you have the slip fit. [giant ]
Brian G is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

I tape some abranet to the end of a transfer punch and mount it in my drill chuck. I also mounted a Sierra top piece in a wooden block (for circuitboards and watch parts pens) and test the fit frequently. I'll post a picture when I get to the shop.

Non Impedite Raditioni Cogitationis.
(Unencumbered by the thought process.)
Tom and Ray Magliozzi
thewishman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

In the Library, on the second line is "Reference" and under that are several charts on drill bit sizes. I have that printed out and on the wall in my shop. I also have two of the 115 piece drill bits from HF. I use the chart as a reference and find the bit that increases the hole by .002 or .005 over the "recommended" bit. This works fine. I don't always need it but sometimes I do.

Flexibility in application does wonders. I have on occasion used SP or abranet on a dowel as others have mentioned. There are times where I want more space (fragile wood blanks) and times when close fit is not a problem such as wood with low movement with during humidity and temp changes.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Last edited by leehljp; 11-04-2017 at 11:10 AM.
leehljp is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 02:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 45

I have bought a set of adjustable straight-sided reamers which I have found extremely useful. Here is a picture taken from the Grizzly website:

http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(adj...able+OR+reamer)

Last edited by magpens; 11-04-2017 at 02:33 PM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 03:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Rick, I have a chamfering/deburring gizmo I got a HF (they don't carry them anymore). I think they are a plumbers tool. I got a couple extra before they ran out. I use it just for the same purpose you are describing. Works great.
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck3906 View Post
I have several cast blanks, and some wood blanks, where I really need to create a slip fit for the components to slide into the tubes so the blanks doesn't crack. What suggestions can you offer to create the slip fit?

I've tried filing the blank but I don't get the slip fit deep enough into the end of the blank. Thought about a Dremel or such but not sure what may be best.

The word 'listen' contains the same letters as the word 'silent. Is that like <<<<<ZIP IT<<<<<<
flyitfast is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 8

I wrap 220 or 320 around a transfer punch of the correct size and chuck it in my hand drill. Run that inside the tube and you can adjust the fit to as loose as you like.
My Etsy Site
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 35

Or you can press the fittings into the tubes (and knock them back out again) before gluing the tubes into the blanks. That way, the tubes are pre-expanded and don't crack the blanks after turning.

I hope that helps,
Eric
http://www.bulletpenkits.com
Sylvanite is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 11-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyitfast View Post
Rick, I have a chamfering/deburring gizmo I got a HF (they don't carry them anymore). I think they are a plumbers tool. I got a couple extra before they ran out. I use it just for the same purpose you are describing. Works great.
Gordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beck3906 View Post

The plumber's tool you refer to can be found at Home Depot, in the plumbing dept. (plumbing dept...imagine that )
Logged on members can hide ads