Creating Letters/Numbers using segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtbrooks

I want to turn a pen with the following in the top end of the pen/pencil:

"G12"

How would this be done? I guess I need to get a book, huh. But I thought I would go to the experts first.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

I had an idea once but I never followed through with it after a little initial testing because if was just a pain. I will assume you have a basic idea of how to do segmented rings for bowls, if not e-mail me or do a web search. The idea was basically to make small segmented rings with a very small opening in the middle(smaller than drill bit to be used in the kit. Figureing out the width of each segment when turned down to the finished diameter then cuttin the segment into slices the same size (heigth). When glued together then different segmented rings should form a square. If you are a computer geek think of each square as a pixel. So the smaller you get each square the better clarity you can get on designs or patterns that you create. I used Excel and made the column width and heigth the same and turned the background color of certain pieces to come up with a pattern.
Like I said I did this once and it was a total pain and had a blowout which really made me cry since I had put so much work into it. Mine I used a dark wood Morado as my main color and maple pieces for the pattern I was making.

I hope this makes sense but I doubt it does. I would recomend lasering the "G12"[;)].

vick

Not a great idea, if it was practical to do the idea might be great. Maybe someone smarter than me can come up with a way to improve upon it so that it is practical. The possibilities are endless if they can. I was doing it on my test piece with 12 segment rings (I think) and the "pixel" was about 1/8th inch on the kit I was using (I think El Toro)and it was still pretty blocky. It was over a year ago that I tried this so I am a little foggy on the details.
After Eagle posted his Light Bright pen I got the idea that you may be able to do it using toothpicks like him but then cutting the blanks into 1/4's to create a 4 segment ring to get rid of the long pieces on the side. Never tried it though.
If anyone thinks of a better way make sure to let me know.

beathard

Never tried, but the first thing that jumped to mind was the use of toothpics. It would still be blocky, but the round blocks might be interesting. It would also be safer than attempting to cut micro sized pieces of wood to make the pixels small enough. Have you thought about inlay?

pete00

not more than two days ago i was looking at a segmented bowl site. In the bowl were letters. Also on the site he gave instructions on how he did it.....WHERE ? aggggg....dont remember...[:(]

ill search around again to see if i can find it......

mtbrooks

Beathard,
I will have to try the toothpick idea. I suppose I need to fill the cavity with CA glue over the toothpicks right?

Pete00,

It would be great if you could find that site.

Thanks for your help!

dfurlano

I have done inlays like this before. They are not all that hard they just take a long time to do.

m-open.jpg

mtbrooks

Originally posted by dfurlano
<br />I have done inlays like this before. They are not all that hard they just take a long time to do.

m-open.jpg

How long did it take you to put this one together?

LEAP

An old co worker of mine used to do artwork and engraving on stone and tile by cutting a thin rubber stencil then "sandblasting" through the stencil with a fine powder. The results were amazing. In the stone it formed a natural sharp V shaped groove. The depth of the groove depended on how long the blaster was held over the area. I don't recall what equipment he was using but due to the fineness of detail he achieved I think it was pretty light duty. Has anyone tried something like this? Seems it would work well with solid materials like corian but wood may be too soft.

airrat

Depending on the size I have sandblasted into pens names and such.

How big are you looking at? couple ideas come to mind. You can do the laser or sandblaster. If you are segmenting, you can scroll saw the letters/number out and then fill it with a dyed epoxy. There was an article in a woodturners magazine where someone did that with corian tops for compacts. Someone here posted a spider pen article and used epoxy to fill the holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom